- Chapter 44 -

UNDER THE STAIRS ARE WHERE SECRETS ARE SHARED,———Sirius moved us further and further away, until the sound of the loud music and crowd of voices were actually as distant as they felt when we connected in the hall

———
Sirius moved us further and further away, until the sound of the loud music and crowd of voices were actually as distant as they felt when we connected in the hall.

I laughed the entire way to an unknown location. Sirius acting as if it was against the rules to be out of bed, dramatically, as if we all didn't have permission because of the festivities. An act to make me feel more comfortable, no doubt.

"Keep your eyes peeled," he said. His own wide.
"They can't catch us here together."

Just as he said that a pair of Ravenclaw students passed us casually. Obviously not attending the dance, and going for their own adventure together.

"Fuck." He gasped. Making the two students jump a little.
"We've been caught. Quick!"

And he picked up speed. Now running through the halls, my legs struggling to keep up with his. The only reason I was on his tail was because I was grasped in his hand.

"Sirius!" I breathily but deeply laughed.
"Slow down."

And with that he pulled us into what at first appeared to be a cupboard, or at least a random and small room I had never paid attention to before.

But with a quick whispered 'lumos'... we were under ancient stairs. Winding above us and below. Unknown to me where both directions led.

As if Sirius had been here before, he placed his wand in an old lantern hook. Balancing it delicately so that Lumos still lit up the forgotten space. Creating a cool blue glow around any area that had the absence of a dark shadow. Similarly to the tone the main hall had, too. That cold blue. Sharp, almost silvery.

Our laughter dwindled. Both of us out of breath from running. I clutched my chest to ensure I didn't begin panting to catch up with myself. A big smile plastered on my face meant I swore I was sucking air through my teeth, as if the room was as cold as the light. If I shivered, I could fool myself.

But I didn't feel cold despite everything;

Despite the icy tone of lumos or the small stone room, with the winding stairs that led to another dark and forgotten space. Despite the fact my legs were bare, purple bruises revealing themselves in the harsh contrast his wand emitted. Despite the goosebumps that began to appear like the pattern of wind against water on my skin, as his smile also disappeared. Despite how only the sound of our synchronised breath begun to bounce around the enclosed space, our laughter now only to be heard in memory.

"Tell me," I said still breathless and quiet. A whisper threatening to echo around us.

I paused.

The weight of the question, knowing I may get an actual answer this time, felt as if it could pulsate through the cracks of the walls and let everyone know of my relief. Like if I asked again, an announcement would sound around the school letting everyone know of my desperation. As if, if it were answered, Hogwarts would shake at its foundation. Setting every hairline fracture the building gained in its hundreds of years back in place. For that it felt worth it...just like Hogwarts, I needed to be put back into place. Have the fractures of my memory, fixed.