- Chapter 31 -

SOCKS AND SHACKLES,Regulus' POV

SOCKS AND SHACKLES,
Regulus' POV.
———

There weren't many times I craved going home.

I wanted to go home.

I want to go home.

"Mate." Barty said as we met outside the main hall for breakfast.

I didn't reply, I just looked at him for him to continue.

"You're not wearing any shoes." He said, surprisingly delicately for him but met with a blank stare.

It made me feel a bit shit about myself and where I was at, at the moment. How he decided not to instantly take the piss.

Almost as if he had assumed weakness within me, that I couldn't take it if he had teased me.

I hummed in response, looking down at my feet.

"Pandora recommended it." I simply said. Acting as if it were nothing and something I would regularly do.

Grounding. She had told me.

Really, all it was doing was making me feel cold and overly aware of the looks I was being given. Providing the opposite of what I was trying to achieve.

Security.

"Where is she by the way?" I looked out for her.

"Sleeping in." Barty replied.

"Oh." I tried to take a discreet inhale to balance my breath.

I felt as if I could do with her presence this morning. Following quite a tough dream, which I was hoping she'd interpret for me. She's good at that type of thing, divination. And also the only person who wouldn't turn it into a joke.

Barty and I wandered into the hall, and I picked the furthest corner away from people so that I could hide my feet under the table and no one would see.

I was regretting my choice to try and act accordingly to how I was feeling.

"Aren't you cold?" Barty nodded to them, bringing back the attention to the striped socks planted on the floor.

"Freezing."

"Is that...working for you?" Barty tried to seem interested.

"Not if you keep pointing it out."

"Got it."

I couldn't bring myself to eat.

I love eggs, but I was suddenly aware of what they could be.

I love sausages, but I was too aware of what they were.

The bread would sit too heavy.

The milk too curdled.

Barty had no problem tucking in and I felt ashamed that I couldn't remove the grimace in my face whilst staring at his loaded plate.

"I tried to see you Sunday." Barty said, mouth full of the food I tried not to focus on.