- Chapter 58 -

ITS CHRISTMAS, Sirius' POV

ITS CHRISTMAS,
Sirius' POV.
A Short Chapter...
———

At the crack of dawn a crash sounded at my door and in came flying... James in Rudolph pyjama bottoms.

"Mate?" I grasp at the sheets, as if I had anything more than a flat chest to hide.

"It's Christmas, get up!" He said as if he were still about five.

I had no choice but to roll out of bed and put on the pyjama's from the night before. My shirt cold from the wooden flooring it had led upon during the winter night.

I brushed my hair back, out of my face and followed James who was anxiously awaiting me at the top of the stairs.

"One second boys, we're just setting up." Mum called from downstairs. Lights flickering on, the glow growing up the staircase where we both waited and suddenly the scratching sound of a record being placed in the player.

Christmas orchestral music started to lightly play welcoming James and I down the stairs and into the living room.

A living room with a freshly lit fire, beginning to crackle to clear some of the cold air and condensation that was frosting the windows. The sky was still dark outside, as if it were still night. So dark that the reflections of the candles that had been lit seemed almost pictures perfect. Uninterrupted by the view of anything else.

Mum adjusted the stacks of presents into two separate piles (as if it hadn't been quite good enough the first time) and Dad, swishing his wand to make us all morning teas, got comfy in his corner armchair. A delighted and excited look upon his face.

"Merry Christmas my handsome boys." Mum came over, her arms out wide, grabbing us both in for a hug and placing a firm kiss on both James and I's cheek.
"As usual, James your presents are on the right and Sirius yours are on the left."

Mum insisted on wrapping by hand, although she wasn't entirely great at it. Layers upon layers of sellotape was needed to make the brown paper packages look presentable.

And that's why there were two letter openers on the coffee table, to make it easier to open. Which always made me smile to see... a light laugh escaped my lips, knowing that she was aware how difficult it was to get into her wrapping.

"You'll catch a cold without socks on, my boy." Dad said, glancing down at my bare feet. With another swish of his wand, a pair of socks drifted towards me from the clean washing pile awaiting to be put away.

I nodded in appreciation and quickly slipped them on.

"Oh, just quickly," Mum said, swatting a rouge pair of socks that decided to come her way.
"you forgot to send a little to Grace, Sirius. If we send it off now - the owl should get to her by midday." She had a cheeky glint in her eye.

"Grace?" Dad asked, trying to recall the name. As he always forgot the names of our friends, it didn't matter how many times he met them or was told.

"New to me too, Monty." Mum shot him a smirk.

"Can we stop talking about Sirius' girlfriend for one second." James said, his patience growing slimmer and slimmer by the second as he stared down the gifts in front of him.

Mum laughed and placed the letter I had intended to send yesterday but had forgotten, back on the table.

"She's not my girlfriend." I mumbled but agreed that we'd send off the letter after breakfast.

"Well, go on then. Our day has to start at some point." Dad encouraged us to get stuck in.

There was no taking it in turns in this house. With his approval to begin, James rushed in and I quickly followed. Both sitting down in front of the fire and instinctively picking up the letter openers to cut through the tape.

"Merry Christmas, everyone." I found myself saying before opening my first gift. Feeling appreciative of the moment and wanting to linger in it for a second.

James could never wait in a moment however, his competitive and fast speed outrunning even himself at times.

"I bet I could open my presents faster than you and fold the paper afterwards." He challenged, knowing how Mum liked to reuse or recycle every piece she could.

I rolled my eyes and sighed.

"Not everything has to be a race, James."

"I bet Sirius could win, actually." Our Dad joined in, tea now in hand and wanting some entertainment and suddenly I was fuelled to pick up the pace.