- Chapter 36 -

DON'T KISS AND RUNa glimpse or glare, a dream or memory

DON'T KISS AND RUN
a glimpse or glare, a dream or memory.
What lies in dream realm energy?
———

Halloween?

The Hogwarts pumpkin lanterns were hovering overhead. I could hear the chorus of castle ghouls harmonise in the main hall. Something they did every year as the sun was beginning to set but only on Halloween.

But it's December? I missed halloween.

I looked down instead of up from the lanterns. Assessing myself within the suspiciously empty halls around me.

Suddenly, a chill ripples throughout every limb on my body at what I saw. A feeling similar to when I tried wild water swimming in the lake in second year, in February; Ramona teasing me she had seen eels within the waters just as a wad of slimy weeds slipped past my sensitively frozen legs.

I stumbled backwards, backing up against the cold cobbled stone walls of an ambiguous Hogwarts hallway. My fingers finding their ways into the grooves of the walls trying to stabilise and lift the weight that suddenly dropped to what I looked at,

My feet were bare. The gaps between my toes thick with mud. Chipped bright blue nail varnish peaking between the brown smudges that seemed freshly spread. Perfect footprints left behind from where I stumbled backwards taunted me upon the floor. A squelch with every step sounded obnoxiously.

Though disgusting in both texture and appearance, the bare muddy feet wasn't what made my heart jolt out of my chilled body.

It was the frayed and bloodied pyjama bottoms that I knew had been destroyed that stuck to my skin like a sweat soaked cloth.

My now shaken hands vibrated off of the walls, as I started to drastically look around for a direction towards... I didn't know.

I don't know.

How did I get here?

Where was I going?

A ringing in my ears started to sound so loudly I could swear, in some odd way, it had always been there. Simply muffled by the sound of the singing choir that echoed through the castle.

"Follow the singing." I found myself saying to myself.

The slapping of my feet against the floor accompanied as I started to make my way up...or down...the hall.

I felt completely and utterly disoriented. I could only describe and compare my current steps to the feeling of running up the stairs after you turn the lights off as a child. The fear of a monster behind me as present as the day darkness felt riddled with them. The day the concept of monsters formed in my mind.

This fear didn't feel childish, however. There was an urgency in my step. A panic in my unformed plan. A instinctual, human feeling to seek companionship but these halls were so empty.