- Chapter 4 -

A FLAVOUR OF WHATS TO COME,9th November, still in the hospital ward,———

9th November,
still in the hospital ward,
———

I couldn't stay out for long past Lunch. Honestly feeling exhausted and incredibly self conscious. I wasn't exactly invisible before, I have a good group of friends and don't tend to have an issue talking to anyone that approaches me. I wasn't used to the level of attention I was receiving though. Like some sort of twisted fame. As if I were a walking curiosity.

I've always been very comfortable with the fact I could blend into any room and only be seen when and if I spoke. I wasn't popular and I wasn't so unpopular either. I liked it that way. People only knew who I was if we had classes together, type of thing. I was another regular student. Nothing special, nothing irregular. Comfortably average.

I never considered myself shy, rather brash actually on occasion, but I felt it in that courtyard. All those eyes. All those comments. Even the well-intentioned ones made me want to curl up into myself and somehow turn inside out and disappear.

I ended up going back to the wing after and going through extra tests of evaluating my health. Then followed by a lot of sleep. Which apparently I hadn't had enough of, despite the coma.

I awoke in the morning to some first year snoring on the bed beside me, probably struggling to adjust to not being at home. A lot of first years came to the wing with nightmares or sleep struggles in the first few months. Myself included at one stage.

There was a blue hue streaming through the windows that suggested it was earlier than I usually woke up. My sleeping schedule had been utterly destroyed, to say the least.

I sat up, my back crunching still because of its lack of proper and consistent stretching and I moved to the edge of my bed, dangling my feet off the edge and taking a sip of the glass of water on the side table.

I suddenly cocked my head.

"Disgusting?" I mumbled to myself, staring at the Bertie Bott's every flavour jelly beans.

I had hated and avoided them since I swallowed a combination of flavours in my first year. Not realising they weren't like Muggle jelly beans, that ... it was supposedly fun to have filthy flavours? I still don't understand it. I get queasy even remembering the foul flavour I attempted to spit out of my mouth for an hour straight.

I passionately hated this box of edible mischief. None of my friends would have left me a gift like this unless it was an odd joke.

Maybe they were testing me to see if I remembered I hated them? Test that my tastebuds were still in working order.

God knows I've been through every type of test so far. What's another one to add to the list?

"No thank you," I whispered and pushed them further away from me as I led my glass back down on the side.