- Chapter 7 -

THE GREENHOUSES, ———

THE GREENHOUSES,
———

"-and she said what to you?" Orla sneered.

"she asked me how I died." I rolled my eyes.

"I don't get it. Is it metaphorical?" Dorcas asked.

"Just another joke that I'm the new ghost of Hogwarts or something. It hasn't even been a full week and it's getting old." I mumbled.

Today was Friday, and I couldn't wait until a weekend of free time. I wanted to visit the library, which was usually busy throughout the week on school days. I had only experienced two days of classes since waking up and ... I had to admit I was acting as if everything was fine.

Perhaps as a way to convince myself it was. It was only partly working.

The comments weren't 'getting old', I actually hadn't experienced an awful lot earlier on this week and they were now only increasing. More people finding out I was back in uniform, more people getting overly confident to not hide themselves talking about me. Before there was a sense of secrecy about seeing me wandering the halls. Whispers. Now people were starting to bubble with curiosity and cockiness about how they could one up the next person in how they approach me; everyone was starting to act more bold in their fascination or excitement, or whatever was going on.

I found myself zoning out more often than usual. I think as a way to protect myself, to almost manage the whispering for other people, as they couldn't be bothered to anymore.

Even when no one was looking at me, it felt as if they were. I never looked up to confront them though, I didn't want to feed the beast.

I was feeling quite overwhelmed by it all.

The comments, the stares, the vague questions and the amount of work others were talking about that I had no clue regarding. I was so far behind, and no help had been offered my way yet.

And needless to mention, I still had no clue what had happened myself. The amnesia hadn't cleared yet.

That's how I found myself in the Herbology greenhouses with Orla and Dorcas for a little impromptu catch up with friends. They had both offered to go through their class notes with me, despite the fact Slytherin shared their herbology lessons with Gryffindor and so I wasn't in theirs. I hoped we were at the same point as the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs (who somehow are always usually ahead in this class and trump us Slytherins).

Today was bright and sunny, as the entire week had been so far. Yet still crisp and cold with the November air. So much so the inside of the greenhouse windows were foggy with condensation at the difference, and it actually felt nice to be able to take our jumpers off and not feel a chill. It felt like a warm spring afternoon inside the glass buildings and the clouded windows meant we could pretend we were in spring too.

"What are you going to do about it all?" Dorcas asked.

"About what? The comments?" I said, starting to put my stuff aside and find a spare pair of gloves. Mimicking what Orla was doing.