- Chapter 43 -

THE CHRISTMAS DANCE Grace's POV

THE CHRISTMAS DANCE
Grace's POV.
———

Ramona ensured I was wearing one of her dresses. Apparently the only gown I owned wasn't good enough, though I found it quite pretty. She had taken it upon herself to give me a makeover. If not, I probably wouldn't have this scratchy holly in my hair or the sign of any intentional curl. I also never would have picked  a purple dress.

"Posture." She grabbed my shoulders and lifted me up.

"I'm not a ballerina, Mona." I said.

"You're also not a house elf. Stand straight." She replied bluntly. Traces of her own mother evident in her behaviour.

Ramona took a step back to admire her work. Cupping her chin with thought, analysing if any changes of adjustments needed to be made.

"You're covered in bruises." she sighed as if it was the bane of her existence.

And just before I could reply that there was nothing we could do about that, she did something about it. Taking out her wand and giving it a quick swish. Executing a spell I had never heard of before. Just like that all scrapes and bruises were blurred. As if they existed behind a skin covered, lace.

I glanced at the scars that scattered my arm, a permanent reminder of the night in the forest that I tried my best to ignore at all times.

You could barely see it, which brought a smile to my face.

"What was that?"

"Illusion magic. My mother is painfully vain. It only lasts for about an hour though. By that time, I'm hoping there'll be too many distractions to notice." She winked.

I felt a blush creep up my face. My nerves finally feeling gurgly in my stomach instead of tiny butterflies.

"Tell me," I started and I could hear the anxiety in my voice.
"Why did you change your mind about Sirius Black?" I asked.

Ramona frowned and seemed surprised by the question. I doubt it was what she was expecting me to ask at this moment.

"What do you mean?" She asked for clarification.

"I mean, you've never been a fan and then...I don't know, something changed now that I'm seeing him." I shrugged.

I felt awfully self conscious in this ridiculous, puffy, purple thing I was wearing. Self conscious with the comments Ramona was beginning to make and imply. First telling me to shave my legs and now offering the suggestion that...we'd be too busy to notice my bumps and bruises. With his reputation of being a bit of a playboy, I was beginning to feel a little like a lamb to slaughter with how Ramona was prepping me.

Ramona laughed, surprisingly.

"I told you," she said.
"He and Evan used to offer girls to dance and then ditch them at the height of their excitement. Myself included."