- Chapter 29 -

GROVAL AND GRAVEL, Grace's POV

GROVAL AND GRAVEL,
Grace's POV.
———

I couldn't work out why I felt so pissed off.

Or why getting a slight reaction from Regulus felt so good.

Perhaps it was because it felt so good to rub it in Valeria Greengrass' and Octavia Abbott's faces that Sirius was taking an interest in me and not them.

I could already anticipate the comments I was going to receive if others found out I was stood up. Especially from those two, and that made me feel pissed off that Sirius led me on, even though the comments haven't come yet.

I also hadn't felt like a freakshow for a few solid days now. I hadn't noticed any new names or anyone overly staring.

It felt personal that he missed our second date. Almost as if he was curious about the forbidden forest girl enough to go on one but I bored him so much he didn't want the second.

Truthfully, I just felt a little stupid that I made sure I was there on time, even after waking up in the hospital wing.

Truthfully, I just felt a little stupid that I felt nervous as I waited. Almost anxious to be let into his life for another hour or two.

I had never been fascinated by the pure-blood world before. Ramona had invited me to some parties over the years and every time I had turned down the invite due to the lack of interest (or maybe fear of judgement considering I'm a Muggle born witch).

I didn't ask many questions and I didn't know much about it all. Despite slowly approaching the end of my time at Hogwarts and having a perfect friend to explore that side of the world with.

I've stayed pretty ignorant to it all.

Subconsciously I think that's because I didn't want to get rejected from it all.

Until now, and I could feel my curiosity beginning the boil away at the ignorance. That fear of rejection was still there, however. And I definitely felt it when Regulus Black turned me down as his friend instead of peer.

Somewhere in me thought Sirius Black would be the one to ignite that curiosity and actually allow it to burn instead of stubbing it out.

Additionally, he is also the first boy to ...be bold with me, I suppose. Make a real move.

Our first date was my first date ever, which I hadn't even admitted to myself when I went.

Now I felt embarrassed it was, especially if I was just some joke or something.

No one had ever asked me on a date before him, not properly anyway. There had been the odd joke 'ask out' every now and then throughout the years. Boys messing around and finding it a challenge to see how many girls would say yes. It never meant anything though.

Foolishly, I think I thought our first date was going to end up meaning something. Though initially I buried that feeling behind a blasé attitude. That blasé attitude was obliterated by how disappointed I felt that he never showed up today.