- Chapter 41 -

WEDNESDAY DETENTION,Grace's POV———

Grace's POV
———

"We'll be in the hall. Meet us after." Vinny said, before rushing off to enjoy after lesson freedom. Something I had to wait a bit longer for.

I on the other hand had detention.

Did I feel slightly petty that I wasn't feeling avoidant of it, but rather excited, just to see Valeria and Octavia suffer alongside me? Yes.

In some way, this felt as if it was going to be much more exciting than any ordinary hang out with the girls.

I started walking to the detention room, a skip almost in my step. A smug smile threatening to pull on the corner of my lips.

'Right before Christmas, what a shame.'

Her voice echoed in my memory. Triggering a victorious laugh to loosen my tightly sewn lips.

What should have been a punishment felt like a free front seat ticket to a long anticipated performance. I couldn't wait to sit back and watch the two crumble or sulk. Unfamiliar with the whole concept of detention, never seeing the consequences for their actions usually.

I realised I had been smiling the whole walk over, trapped inside my head. Amused by the way this year was ending.

Heading to detention with Valeria Greengrass and Octavia Abbott, as all others hand crafted presents to take home with them in the great hall.

"You look a bit too happy." A voice said, also aware of my smile.

I refocused my eyes and saw thebfamiliar face of a stranger standing at the detention door.

Peter Pettigrew.

I knew he was one of Sirius' close friends. I was beginning to learn who each of them were, though admittedly very slowly.

Peter smiled over at me, almost as if he had stolen some of mine off my face. Possibly taken aback by the joy about to enter a room that usually lacked it.

He wasn't much taller than me. Probably only a little shorter than Sirius but taller than James, noticeably. Definitely not as tall as Remus.

Peter was pale and yet still had an olive complexion. A faint tone of yellow, green to his skin that suggested he could tan quite nicely in the summer. Or he was sick, I couldn't tell.

"You're not here for detention, are you?" He asked.

He had expressive eyebrows. Curving at every observation he made. Twitching and wiggling, dressing kind but dark blue eyes.

"Afraid so. You?" I asked in return. Standing at the door with him.

He nodded. His hair falling from its tucked position behind his ears. Pin straight, though it flicked at the ends and darker now, in a poorly lit corridor. I remembered seeing him outside, the sun making his brown hair appear blonde. That in between mousy colour that was open to interpretation; some people seeing it as blonde, some brunette. Or the same people seeing it differently in different environments, just as I was.