- Chapter 38 -

A WINTER WALK,a tale of being hot and cold

A WINTER WALK,
a tale of being hot and cold.
———

"I'm not ready for this to end." Sirius said matter of factly.

I had just finished another cider. The laws around alcohol were a little loose in the wizarding world. If you bought a packet of crisps or some pork scratchings you were good to order a number of drinks at sixteen. Not eighteen like in the muggle world.

Sirius obviously could see through my now wide eyed smile; I was tipsy.

Five hot ciders in and suddenly I could see the sparkles in his eyes again. Just like when I first confronted him. A brown ring circling around and disguising piercing grey, blue central coloured eyes. Dark from afar. A whirlpool of oceanic colours up close.

I laughed in response.

"I didn't realise we had finished?"

Sirius smiled and downed the rest of his drink, finishing off his silent sentence in a solid nod.

"The longer we stay, the more formal conversations I'm going to be forced into." His eyes wandered over to a huddle of older wizards beginning to settle down with their pints of ale.

"Ah!" I smiled.
"Master Black." I recalled from our first time here.

"Grace..." Sirius dramatically shivered.

"Sorry." I laughed, though didn't mean the apology, because of his comedic response.

"Let's go for a walk." Sirius said, assertively.

I paused. The smile on my face instantly replaced by a judgemental frown, and an immediate stare out of the window we were sat by.

"A...walk?" I said unsure.

He nodded.

"It's freezing outside." I stated.

"I guess you'll just have to keep me close then."

***

Sirius had guided me to the outskirts of hogsmeade. The ground was thinly coated in snow around the paths, boot trodden and shovelled high upon the once green grass to the sides.

It was so cold, now mid December, the sight of both our hot breath was visible to anyone stood close enough.

He was stood close, interlocking our fingers together as we walked. Fingertips going frosty outside the warmth of pockets. Defeating his purpose of keeping me warm, as if I believed that anyway.

"I feel I have to be honest." He said suddenly stopping us in our tracks.
"You've surprised me."

I felt curious. I could tell one eyebrow instinctively shot up at him.