- Chapter 27 -

AND WHILE WE WAIT, ———

AND WHILE WE WAIT,
———

I had the best sleep I have had since the summer holidays.

Something Madam Pomfrey whipped up for me worked as a literal anaesthetic sedative as if I were going into surgery. 

I woke up mouth hung open, an arm above my head and hand almost tangled in the metal headboard behind my pillow and the duvet sheet balled up into a cuddled and cocooned, tight mould around my body.

I felt more rested than I had...for too long.

And I was super thankful for the strength of the dosage Madam Pomfrey gave me, especially after how shaken I felt when Remus Lupin left the hospital wing.

With a more sound and rational mind, due to the sleep I had, I could clearly see I was paranoid and easily triggered by exhaustion. And opening up old wounds about how I've been feeling recently perhaps didn't help towards this whole 'easily triggered, paranoid' thing.

Yes, he had a wild gaze about him but...he was clearly struggling with something that I didn't quite understand, nor felt it was my place to.

I was glad Madam Pomfrey didn't give me the opportunity to have another nightmare. I was glad to find that a sleep study just meant she was going to knock you out, to ensure you had beneficial rest and make sure someone was watching over you.

As I woke, I joyfully wondered if this could be a monthly occurrence. Almost hoped she'd invite me back every full moon to knock me out as a way to reset.

That's when I realised, as I stretched and smiled to myself at the thought...

I took a sigh of relief.

The gratification of basic joy.

Something I had almost forgotten existed.

I had lost the feeling of feeling happy towards small, overlooked details such as waking up with what felt like a regulated and reset nervous system.

I wasn't instantly waking up thinking about surviving through the day. I thought about a moment in time, four weeks from now, with hope and appreciation. Even if I didn't get my wishes of monthly "sleep studies".

I simply appreciated waking up and feeling rested for a moment, seeing as I was in no rush. It was still fairly early.

It appeared to be a dreary morning outside. A grey wash existed outside of the frosted, patterned windows and I could hear the pattering sound of light rain hitting the glass.

It was a cold day. You could feel that in the air of the castle. The stonework almost absorbing the temperature from the outside and welcoming it in as a warning on how to dress.

I started to appreciate the stonework from the comfort of the led position in bed, paying attention to the artistry and effort that had gone into building and sculpting this impressive building hundreds of years ago.