- Chapter 62 -

THE GRYFFINDOR CARRIAGE,———

———

I sat in a random compartment on the train, instantly pulling out the homework Slughorn had assigned me to do over Christmas break. Which I didn't.

I didn't wait for the girls, on the platform as I usually would either. Because, though it was hypocritical (as I didn't send any letters myself), I hadn't heard a single thing from any of them. Including Ramona, who hadn't seen me since the party. Which we didn't exchange goodbyes at.

Who I had heard from, however, was Sirius Black. Out of everyone. Out of all my friends.

His letter neatly folded inside the same notebook I was now holding, alongside Regulus' helpful scribbles to help me complete the work I had been given.

As I started to see people pile onto the train, I opened that letter again. A small smile appearing on my face.

It read:

Grace,

Merry Christmas!

I hope you don't mind that I found out your address, I asked Remus to ask Dorcas. So blame them if you didn't want me to know.

I just thought I'd send a letter so that you also knew my address and we could talk outside of school. I didn't get to say goodbye properly and wish you a happy new year before we left Hogwarts. So I guess that's what I'm doing.

Have you ever been to Ireland? We have a floo chimney here, at the Potters. Just to let you know. Maybe we can still meet up during half terms? Everyone comes here. You're welcome to, too.

We're not doing anything this holidays, keeping it small. I only think Peter is coming for New Years, usually there's a group of us. But I'll see you back at Hogwarts and hope you have a nice Christmas break.

You know where to find me and now know where to send a letter,
Sirius.

I closed the paper again, laughing lightly to myself, as I folded it back up.

I never knew where to find him. He always found me or told me where to meet him. I found it funny to think about how there was a possibility that Sirius felt...predictable. As if that wasn't far from the truth.

I knew vaguely where he hung out.

In the backfields, near the whomping willow.

Near the restricted section, in the library.

On the Gryffindor table, if they had to be in the hall.

I could assume they also only stuck to the Gryffindor carriages on the train too.

I suddenly found myself on my feet, making my way out of a Slytherin compartment and squeezing past people in the narrow corridors. The closed study book, with the letter inside, equally squeezed between my hands.