The Anniversary || Gojo x Reader

Warnings: Gojo, swearing, mentions of a loved one having a terminal illness (very brief)
Genre: Angsty
Pronouns: Gender-neutral/ NB
Rating: PG-13
Reader Notes: Uhhh this is kinda my first angsty thing so feedback, yeah?  (*'∀'*) Also comment some requests or ideas I s2g bro (kidding, only do it if u want <3)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting alone at home, you scrolled through your phone, looking at all of the pictures you and your boyfriend had taken over the past couple years of being together. You were supposed to be together tonight, as it was your third anniversary, but Gojo hadn't come home yet, let alone even texted you that he was going to be late.

You sighed, peeking you head out into the hallway, surveying the beautifully set table and meal you had worked extra hard on, walking over and wrapping the plate up so you could put them in the fridge and go to sleep. The crinkle of the aluminum foil you were putting over the expensive steak made you irritated, hating the grating noise against the soft quietness of the night. Finally giving into frustration, you swung your arm, smashing your own plate of food onto the ground.

Fuck it, you told yourself, grabbing your keys and phone and stomping out of the apartment. If he couldn't be bothered to even call, why should you try so hard to please him? Gojo had been becoming more distant lately, and it had you worried. You knew at the beginning of the relationship that he wasn't a person who liked staying with a new partner for too long, so when you hit the six month mark, you were pleasantly surprised. You figured you two must have still been in the honeymoon phase at that point. Not anymore.

Trying to find a way to relieve your anger, you made the worst decision, which was stopping by a local bar and trying to drink away the upset. You'd heard somewhere that anger was a secondary emotion, and was usually caused by being embarrassed or being hurt. Right now, you couldn't tell which of the two it was; it was most likely both.

"Long day?" The bartender gave you an understanding smile, to which you nodded in response, frowning down at the wooden bar you had your arms rested on. He held his finger up, turning back around briefly to ask which kind of liquor you preferred. Once you'd answered him, he gave you a shot of it for free.

"On the house. You look like you've been through a lot." He commented, running a hand through his hair. A lot. Yeah, you could say that. You had given up being your own person to be with Gojo, spending all the time you could with him, indulging in his childish whims, taking care of him when the pressure got to be too much; you were essentially a glorified therapist for the man, which is not how you wanted the relationship to be going. Maybe the distance growing between you two wasn't a bad thing, you pondered, swallowing the smooth liquid, scrunching your face up and shaking your head a bit when some of it lingered on your taste buds. Yeah. Maybe it wasn't so bad.

"And then I said, 'of course not, I'm the strongest!'" A voice rang out from a nearby table, the group bursting into laughter at the story. At least some people were having a good night, you thought to yourself. Then it clicked. He didn't. You gritted your teeth as you turned around, tears already threatening to overflow from your eyes. At the table sat your boyfriend surrounded by three beautiful woman. One for each year, you heard yourself bitterly think. The laughter died down as they went back to your conversation, leaving you staring blankly at the last shred of your relationship vanishing before your eyes.

"Yeah, sorry about him. He comes in here a few times a week with different women, and he always tells the same stupid story. I'd have half a mind to kick him out if he didn't pay so well." The bartender griped, stopping his complaining when he realized you looked like you were ready to cry.

"Oh... hey! Hey, what's wrong?" He leaned across the bar, sliding a small pile of cocktail napkins over to you, keeping his voice down so he didn't draw attention from the other patrons. You took a shaky breath, taking out your phone and showing him your background. It was a picture of you and Gojo from your birthday a few months ago, throwing up peace signs in front of the Eiffel Tower. You'd had an obsession with it since you were little, and you were so excited to finally see it. When that stranger took your picture, it was probably the happiest you had ever been.

"Oh shit... Kid, I'm... Fuck." He rubbed his face, realizing what he'd said about the white-haired man coming in with different women every week. Your thoughts spun as you started to wonder if this was where he'd been when you needed him the most. Like the time you got so sick you couldn't sit up without vomiting. He conveniently didn't respond to the text of you asking him for medicine until the next morning. Or the time you found out your dad had cancer. You couldn't stop crying when he'd called to tell you, even after he said the doctors had caught it early and said he had a good chance of making a full recovery. Or the day your father died. The doctors were wrong. You needed your boyfriend more than ever, but you got no response when you begged for him to come hold you, for him to come tell you everything was going to be alright. 

Tears dropped down your cheeks as the bartender shot Gojo a dirty look, walking over and asking him to leave with no explanation. You hid your face as you heard him and the women argue for a moment, leaving before they caused a scene.

"Why don't we go back to my place for a bit? You don't have anything to do later, right?" One of the stunning women asked, holding lightly onto YOUR boyfriend's arm. 

"Nope, I'm all free!" He chipperly replied. You'd had enough.

"Yeah, you are all free. For the rest of your life. Don't bother coming by to get your shit, it'll be on the front lawn. Oh, by the way girls, this is my boyfriend of three years. It's out anniversary, isn't that great?!" You forced a sarcastic smile, watching Gojo's face pale when he realized he'd been caught. You could tell from his attitude that he wasn't upset that you were hurt, or that he'd broken your heart, but he was more concerned about how the whole situation would make him look.

"Oh, um..." The girl who had initially invited him over mumbled, letting go of his arm with a grimace and walking away, whispering with her friends as they shot him dirty looks. Gojo looked desperately between you and the three girls leaving, unsure of who to go after. Seeing this internal struggle, you laughed. It was a hollow laugh, with nothing but emptiness and hatred fueling it.

"(Y/N), I-" He tried to start, reaching out to grab your shoulder.

"Oh, fuck off, Gojo! The bartender told me you come here every week with different women, don't even try to act like this was a one time thing or an accident. For fuck's sake, could you at least have fucking TRIED?! You are the most selfish person I have ever had the misfortune of meeting." You hissed, your eyes narrowed as you shoved past him, back out onto the streets. You didn't want to go back home, and you didn't want to be wandering around in the dark, so you decided on visiting a park nearby that always helped calm our nerves.

This was where you'd fed the ducks with your mom after your dad's funeral. It was also the place you came to watch the people walking by after you'd sprained your ankle trying to run around getting things ready for Gojo, who hadn't even shown up that night. There were a lot of bitter memories tied to the park, but it was still a place of serenity, and you appreciated that. 

The stars twinkled across the pond water as the wind softly blew, creating ripples that slowly hit the edge of the land, falling back down before they could get anywhere. What a metaphor for your life, you scoffed, rolling your eyes as you sat down on the grass. 

"Happy anniversary to me." You mumbled to yourself, the moon reflecting off the stream of tears cascading down your cheeks. Happy anniversary indeed.