Rival || Maki x Reader

Warnings: Mild swearing
Genre: Fluff/ General
Pronouns: Gender-neutral/ NB
Rating: G
Reader Notes: Y'all wanna give me some oneshot/ headcanon ideas or naur?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Again!" You yelled, pushing yourself back off the grass as you stood back up.

"If we keep doing this, you're going to get a brain injury." Maki griped, reverting back to her starting stance, ready to attack.

"Jokes on you, I'm already FULL of brain injuries." You smiled proudly, watching the girl in front of you grimace at your statement.

"You know, that would actually explain a lot." She stated, pointing her staff at you as she readied to start the fight.

"Wha- AH! No fair, you're trying to catch me off guard!" You whined as Maki took a swing at you, the staff making a soft wooshing sound as it flew over your head. Good thing you ducked, or her previous statement might have become reality.

"Then stop talking and fight me!" Maki grinned as she held the staff behind her back with one hand, beckoning you with the other.

You and Maki were known as the second year rivals, two powerhouse fighters that didn't need to rely on cursed energy and could take down most things in their way. You always felt as if Maki was just a step ahead at all times, frustrating you as you tried to catch up with the girl, only realizing she was pulling further ahead at every turn.

With a huff, you swung your own staff, aiming for her legs but flicking the other end into the air at the last minute in an attempt to knock her over. The tip of the staff whizzed by Maki's face, specks of dirt landing on the girl's glasses as she narrowly avoided it.

"Huh, nice move, Y/N. Gojo-sensei was right, you do learn quickly." You blushed a bit at the compliment, awkwardly laughing as you avoided eye contact. Not only was Maki your top rival, she might have also been the person you had ever had such a strong crush on, probably because she was one of the few people who could match your power.

"You're just saying that so I don't give up and you get to fight some more." You sighed, the both of you going back to your starting positions.

"Maybe, maybe not. Guess we'll have to continue for you to find out." Maki smirked at you, that smug grin on her face building your drive to beat her even more.

Once again, the two of you ran at each other, staffs swinging in what looked like a wild pattern, but were actually flying to the precise location you aimed for each time, the other skillfully blocking it. You grunted as Maki gave you a taste of her full power, keeping you at bay with her staff, then quickly changing to close combat, kicking you in the stomach. 

You gasped for air as you hit the ground, the impact of her foot in your torso knocking the wind out of you. You could have sworn you were seeing stars at that point, but Maki was the last person to let you off easily. She knew how much you could handle, and she could also tell when she'd gone to far. She hadn't reached that point yet.

"C'mon, Y/N! Get up! God, this is why our sparring practices take so long." The green-haired girl complained, walking over and offering you a hand up before wandering off to drink some water.

"Maybe if you didn't make me internally bleed every time we fought, I would recover quicker. I think I'm going to have to see Ieiri for that one." You grimaced as you held your stomach, shuffling over to the bench and sitting as you followed Maki lead, taking a swig from your own bottle.

"Pft, don't even. I barely even touched you." Maki rolled her eyes, taking her towel and wiping the sweat off her face.

"Oh, and here I was thinking Mai was the toxic sibling between the two of you. Maybe I'm getting a glimpse into why she's so hard headed." You pondered, tapping your fingers on your chin as you teased your friend.