Chapter one

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 1   

Anthony

Sitting at the computer in the common room, I work quietly as I do most days. My back to the wall, I keep what's on my screen for my eyes only. The inmates here can only use the computer for an hour each day, so I have to make the most out of my time. Brig life is the worst. I'm not happy about sitting in the brig for the menial charge of a bar fight.  There are worse criminals out there, men who kill innocent people, men like Colonel John James McAfferty. 
He's the one who should be doing time. He's one of those men that actually ruin lives. Feeling the dangerous heat of hate fill my veins, I sethe in silence. I have hated McAfferty for years. Now, after all this time, I've finally found a way to exact my revenge.

I am a Marine, a hero, in some people's eyes. I don't understand why anyone would see me as the monster. I've done my duty, served my country, and I defended myself when it was necessary. I'd do it again too. The man I had fought with in the bar, wasn't even worth the sentence given to me. That man had expressed an alliance with McAfferty and had to be put in his place. I had the responsibility to teach him that McAfferty was the enemy. And I'm the one who got punished.

Finishing up my work, I typed the last few words. Then, as I looked around to see if any of the guards were watching, I pressed the final keys on the keyboard and smirked to myself. The Internet is a miraculous invention. The wonders of search engines, online banking, and information so readily at one's disposal made this little venture so much simpler.

It was hard to believe she had been able to hide from me for so long. Finances must be getting low. I was able to track her when she finally resorted to using that credit card I helped her get when we were together. She never put it together that I made sure to link my card to hers. She has moved around a lot, but since I've got access to her account, it was easy to track her. They all ask the same questions: What's her credit card number and social security number, place of birth, and favorite color. Thanks to the internet I was able to get the verification of her address. It was just that simple.

A person's account, if you know them well enough, can be hacked.  With another click of the mouse, I found a recent transaction that took place in a small midwest town called Hearts Bluff. She has hidden herself well, too well, this time. Unfortunately, I'll be forced to punish her for actually doing a good job at something. This is the one time I'll be sure she pays dearly. 

Ever since I lost my freedom, I've been tracking the Colonel's daughter. I might have lost my hold on Cassie after I lost my temper with her, beating her senseless and not making my point clear. I might have made a mistake thinking she would stay put while I beat up that idiot in the bar. But she is the one who will pay for all the mistakes. She's only ran once while I've been in the brig. She thought I couldn't reach her, she thought she was free of me. I've had a hell  of a time locating her... until now.

This small town has kept her hidden away all these months. Now, I have her, and her father will know what it's like to lose everything he holds dear. McAfferty killed my uncle, his blood is on the Colonel's hands. He will pay a high price for it by losing those he holds dear. I'll make sure of it.

Pressing the print button, the paper fed through the printer. Quickly, I grabbed the single sheet, folding it until it would fit inside my shoe. Closing out the search engine and the document, I shut down the computer without saving my work. I can't leave a trace of and give the game up too soon. Feeling a renewed surge of confidence, I print out the single page again, then fold this piece in thirds, and slip the paper into a plain white envelope to address it to its recipient. Standing with a relaxed ease, I stroll to the common room door.