Chapter 13

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 13

Travis

It's nice to know I haven't lost my touch. Looking in Cassie's eyes, glazed over with a need that is reflective of my own, I pulled back to gain some perspective. It's not the time for losing my head over a woman. I can't put her at risk just to relieve my own needs. Looking deep into those eyes that haunt my dreams lately, I would say she is as affected by this attraction as I am. That doesn't help matters.

Those dreamy doe eyes hold me captive. I made a grave error thinking I had any ounce of control over the situation. I have none. From the first touch, I had no control. I should have known then that I would lose this battle. I'm done fighting it. I can't.

My train of thought got off track, once again I'm getting lost in her again. I was telling her something. It was important too. What the hell was I saying? "Cassie, I mean it." I know that much.

"I know." As non committal as that sounded, I think we're talking about the same thing.

Cassie licks her lips, still tasting me on them and I'm drowning in her again. I wonder if she feels as conflicted about the plan she made to just disappear as I do. Doesn't she realize she needs me?

How do I convince her I'm her best chance of beating Dean?

My lips met hers again, slower this time, easier. The conflicting emotions I felt earlier start to diminish as my hands rub around her neck, and down her back. In pressing her hips firmly against mine, there's no denying this growing desire, hot and ready against her core. Pulling up, I rest on my elbows over her, reining in my own desperate need. Searching her eyes for something to tell me she is ready to take this to the next level, I find her resolve to run has broken.

It isn't hard to see that her protests have ceased. Cassie has to admit being with me is best. She's been holding her emotions back for so long, she's struggling to keep her head. It's easier to run away than to face your fears. I know that and I understand why it's her first instinct.

That doesn't mean it's the right one.

I'm strong enough to keep her safe from Dean. Not just physically stronger, but emotionally. I've dealt with my share of mental warfare. I know how an enemy breaks down its prey's walls. Using her weakness as weapons, Dean has her playing right into his hand. He has Cassie believing that she can't trust anyone to keep her safe.

Dean didn't plan on me getting involved with her. That is strength in our side and a weakness in his. In keeping Cassie isolated, Dean has been able to control the situation. Hurdling her where he wants her to go. Not anymore!

I gave Cassie's father my word that I would take care of her and Jacob, no matter what. According to the Colonel, if a Marine gives his word, that's as solid of a guarantee as it gets. I will do everything, including giving my own life, to save Cassie and Jacob. Without running away or hiding from what is coming our way.

Not to mention that kiss has made my body hum with need. I can't deny the ache to use my lips everywhere she's willing to let me go. But I have to wait until she's ready. I won't push her into anything. That's not who I am.

Loosening my arms around her, I relax with Cassie curled against me. She needs time. She's been through a lot thanks to Dean. Her trust in anyone is shaky. I understand that and I'm willing to earn her trust. But I'm not going to sit on my hands while I'm waiting either.

"Cassie, I understand why you don't want to let me in. I do understand your motives. And I'll give you time but this discussion isn't over." I drop the subject for now. There's no point arguing over it when we're too tired to find a solution. "Go to sleep. We'll decide what we need to do in the morning. Tonight let's just be together."