Chapter 28

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 28

Anthony

I feel like a wild animal hunting for the feast. The adrenaline is pumping through my veins. This is better, so much better than hunting the woman who betrayed me. This takes a much higher level of expertise. I get to face the man who set the course of my life.

I've known that McKennan was the one who ruined my life. He destroyed everything I set out to accomplish in boot camp. McKennan proceeded to ruin me again, when we met up in Recon. To have the opportunity to bag both men, McKennan and McAfferty, in one operation is a coup.

I made my way, the only way I know how, by lying, cheating, and manipulating every situation to make sure I come out on top. McKennan ruined those plans to bring directly under McAfferty. Thinking back to that night, we were training for Somalia and McKennan made his final blow, sending my career into a spiral downfall...

Eight years back

"Ok, men, we reach 20,000 feet, that's it. No one is left behind and everyone jumps. Is that understood?" the Captain said. I held onto the handle that would release the back latch of the plane.

"Sir, yes, sir!" the unit responded.

I sat opposite McKennan, glaring his way until I caught his eye. He raised his eyebrow questioning me silently, only to receive a smirk before I coyly looked away. I made sure this time McKennan wouldn't make time for this exercise. In fact, I had made sure McKennan wouldn't survive the exercise at all. The chute he wore was packed improperly. It was, in fact, not even his chute. I switched out my chute for his, when he wasn't looking. McKennan put it on without a thought. McKennan won't come out on top again.

The back of the plane opened to the sky and the men stood, two at a time, jumping from the plane. Night goggles in place, wet suits on, the tides were high, but manageable. It was perfect.

It became McKennan and my turn as we approached the edge of the drop. I smiled and looked over at my so-called partner. McKennan knew something wasn't right. I'm usually rude and testy when we get paired up. For me to be polite isn't normal. He knows something is up. He felt the hand on his shoulder and turned to see the Captain standing between them.

"Corporal, your pack is loose. Get your tail end back in here and lock in before you kill yourself. Who taught you to pack a chute like this." The Captain was furious with him, but wouldn't allow McKennan to continue with the exercise. "I haven't lost a man yet on a training exercise. I'm not about to start now."

"Yes, sir." McKennan stepped back. He locked himself in as I stood in deathly silence to watch my plan ruined once again.

"You need to answer my question, boy. Who packed the chute?" The Captain barked as McKennan slipped out of the gear.

The initials on the edge told him everything he needed to know. "Dean, sir," McKennan confirmed his suspicions. He showed the Captain the initials and threw me under the bus.

The Captain turned and faced me. I knew immediately it was fight or flight. Stepping back to the open mouth of the plane I jumped. It was the last jump I would ever make.
I'm looking forward to one last jump.

Cassie

After following Travis's advice, I sat in silence and regretted every word spoken. The tension in the room has been thick and painful. I wished to be somewhere, anywhere else. I retreated to Jacob's room, knowing at least there, I could find solitude here watching Jacob sleep.
I know I have to finish the conversation with him. My father wants to know my connection to Anthony. He isn't going to just let it pass with the simple explanation I gave him. There is so much more I have to tell him. It scares me to think of his reaction.