Chapter 32

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 32

Doc

Took the boy long enough. I watched Travis gingerly slide out the side window and get into the car. Adjusting my glasses, I took my time, as the old man that I am, up the driveway to the steps. Then one at a time, as if I'm having trouble with the steps, I made my way back into the house. Letting the door slam behind me, I shuffled my feet as I walked to the back bedroom.

"Don't know what I did with it." I muttered, as if I am absent minded enough to lose it. Glancing around, Mel is staring out the window. My instincts were right on point. Stepping up next to the smart girl, I patted her arm.

"You did good, kid." It was the right thing to do. I just hope that my friend will forgive me.

Carol

The late morning sun is beating down on our backs in between the cover of trees above. It has been a long night of hiking and my feet ache. I desperately need a hot bath and a long drink of water. I had hoped Anthony would have this entire messy business finished before I arrived. All that should have been left to do is the final shot he had promised was mine. It obviously isn't the case. He isn't holding up his word and I'm not happy about the situation.

My skin is slick with sweat, my hair is a tangled mess. Our clothes are wet and sticking to us. I disliked roughing it more than I can say. I'm not a grunt. I considered myself more like the commander. There is no acceptable reason for me to be out in the field. My son's plan for his attack wasn't executed properly. It failed, and is not acceptable.

"Where are we?" I bark as we move through the thick brush and to a clearing. The tone of my voice mirrors my obvious annoyance with the situation. The prospect of having to hike much further is angering me.

"Home!" Anthony smiles at me. The dirt and grime that covers his face makes him look more dangerous than ever.

We hiked through the night and all morning with little rest. Getting away from the scene that McAfferty had set up was top priority. Anthony has been careful about his camp sites. The one he set up behind Cassie's home was only for show, it was a trap so to speak.

He wanted McKennan to find it. His hope to lure him out of the house worked. Unfortunately my boy hadn't planned on McAfferty showing up with his grunts to bail McKennan out. Anthony should have known the old man had friends in this backwoods town. It was a misstep that my boy doesn't want to acknowledge. But a mistake nonetheless.

A setback in plans, but nothing we can't work around. It only changes the location and time of the attack. The Colonel won't get off that easily. McAfferty's family may know of Anthony's act of violence. Once word of McKennan's death is out, the Colonel will quickly be on his way. There's no reason for him to stay. Anthony will just make sure that the Colonel follows suit.

If he isn't able to kill the Colonel, he will destroy his career. It won't take much, only a leaked letter, the information will get into the right hands and the Colonel's career will be tarnished beyond repair.

As a respected Colonel in the United States Marine Corps, McAfferty will be brought up on murder charges. A man who has been above the law, will finally be getting his just due. This plan will work. One way or the other, the Colonel's life will be destroyed.

"We'll only be here for a few days, Mother. Don't get comfortable." Anthony warns me as he walks up the planked steps to the cabin. "It's only until McAfferty has cleared out his men, then we move on to the next phase of the plan."

"You planned for McAfferty to show up with his gang of hooligans?" I doubt his sense of planning is that meticulous.

"Of course!" Anthony replied, sounding ever so sure of himself. "His daughter was in trouble. He knew I was here, or on my way. It only stands to reason he would call in the troops to save her."
Nodding, a frown on my face, doubting my son's honesty. I usually have complete faith in my son, but since his involvement with McAfferty's daughter, he is distracted. Anthony has proven numerous times, he is more than capable to take on McAfferty and McKennan. There is no reason not to come out on top.