Chapter 7

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 7

Colonel

By the time the plane arrived at Camp LeJune, I was a wreck. I went over the documents several times on the plane, besides memorizing the pertinent details of the woman in question. She is a 56 years old woman, she has one child, a son, still in the Corps. She married young, but was widowed not long after. She has remained single all these years, no other family ties, no men, just her job and son. She has dedicated her life to ensure the safety of those men with whom her son serves.

I arrived at the brig within twenty minutes of my landing and made my way down the long corridor to the Colonel's outer office. The woman I am looking for is seated at her desk, her glasses resting on the tip of her nose as she works diligently on the computer. Looking up, she gave me a friendly, courteous smile in greeting.

I imagine when Carol received the call that Colonel John McAfferty was on his way to see her, she felt unsure about the reasons. I do have a reputation in the corp and I am known to be hard, by the book, and intimidating. I don't mind any of those descriptions. I demand respect from my men and women who serve under me. If orders aren't followed, if respect isn't given people die. I take that seriously.

Her spine is stick straight as she looks up, tensing behind her desk. It's obvious she's trying valiantly to hide her emotions when she recognizes me. I've been told I am a bold presence when I walk into a room. I guess that's true. I don't tolerate any games, any step out of line when it comes to my job. That's why this is so upsetting. This is someone in the military world. She should know better.

If she had the courage to send me those letters, then she would go into her supervisor's office, take his gun from his safe and kill me. I put nothing past a person who is cornered. A scared person is more likely to attack than an innocent one.

She didn't didn't move from her seat. I removed my cover from my head and tucked it under my arm. Nodding to her, she stood up and saluted the star. "Good morning, Colonel McAfferty. We heard you were on your way, sir. What can I do for you?"

Carol Hastings is as polite as could be on the surface, but her hands were shaking on top of her desk. Do I really scare her that much or is she nervous? Did she know about the letters sent from her email or is she a victim of circumstance?

"Mrs. Hastings, I'm sorry to barge in this way but I have some questions I believe only you can answer for me?" I take the seat in front of her desk, but I don't share the contents of my file. I believe in confidentiality and need to know.

"Oh! Of course, I'll help you anyway I can." She looks down at her desk and straightens out the line of pens above her blotter. Casually, she turns and closes the open window on the computer and turns the monitor off.

She's hiding something.

"I'll get right to the point, Mrs. Hastings. I received an email from you last night and I'm curious as to what exactly you think you know about me?" I don't waste time with pleasantries, and I'm not a man to beat around the bush.

I've had this running in my head for too long now. My patience is at an end, I want answers. My daughter and grandson are not going to be used as pawns in this game. My anger and frustration has only increased since getting on the plane here.

She looks confused. If she is faking her lack of knowledge, I'm impressed. Her expression conveys she had not emailed me or sent me the letters. Looking at the keyboard, her fingers stroke over the keys but she gives me no response. I've never even laid eyes on this woman before now. I don't know her by name or her dead husband, and son. I looked into both of them.