Chapter 23

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 23

Travis

Mel got here in fifteen minutes. It was too long for my taste, but I'm not going to complain. I want Cassie and Jacob safe. I'm not about to leave her here alone and unprotected. The headlights lit up the window in the front room as she pulled into the driveway. Within seconds the sound of booted feet were stomping up the steps and onto the deck. I opened the door before Mel could knock and let her in.

"I've called for backup." Mel whispers as she walks in.

My brows dropped low over my ice blue eyes, giving her a questioning look. Who would she call for backup? The old doctor or the pink haired waitress? I don't see how either of them could back me up with Dean. He's dangerous and this isn't a game.

She saw I wasn't following her and explained herself. "I called Doc Earl, just in case we need somebody a little stronger and wiser to help out. He was a marine, or is. I know that 'once a marine, always a marine' thing. Although, I'm pretty sure that Smith and Wesson here will do just fine." Mel pulls the gun from her purse and waved it at me.

"Do you know how to use that?" I wonder, knowing Cassie doesn't like guns especially around Jacob.

"I do and I'm an ace shot. My daddy was in the army and a hunter. He wanted a boy and got me so I've always been quite a tomboy. We went hunting every season. He taught me plenty." That's at least something in our favor.

Nodding in approval of her weapon of choice, I motion toward the stairs. Locking the door before I followed Mel up. We went straight up to Jacob's room and stood in the doorway looking at Cassie rocking Jacob in her chair. I didn't say a word as I walked into kiss Cassie on the forehead once more, before I leave to find Dean.

"You stay with Mel. Don't leave the house no matter what you hear outside. You stay put." Giving instructions to Cassie, I can only hope she does as she's told. "Promise me, Cassie. I can't do my job if I don't know you're safe."

"I will. Travis, please be careful out there. Anthony will do anything to get his way. He'll kill you without a second thought." She isn't saying anything I don't already know. She is scared of what he will do and what I'll do.

"I know what I'm doing. Don't worry about me, I'll be back as soon as I can." Turning to Mel who's still by the door, I walk to her and make sure she knows what she's doing. "Keep them safe. Don't leave them."

"I've got this." Mel assures me as she gives me room to walk out the door.

"Lock the door behind me." I quietly ordered her and pulled the door closed between us.

Leaving them is the last thing I want to do. I know I have no choice. I have to search outside and it just isn't safe for Cassie and Jacob to come with me. Locking Cassie in the house with Mel is the best option. If Doc is on his way, that's another line of defense.

Waiting in the hallway until I hear the lock engage, I quietly make my way down the darkened hallway. My eyes slowly adjust to the darkness. I've been up and down this hallway enough times to know where everything is blindfolded. Reaching the stairs, I stood plastered against the wall, hiding in the shadows and listening to the silence.

When there's no other sound but my own breathing, I head down. I've walked the woods behind the house daily. I've searched for signs of Dean out there but found nothing. I had to have missed something. What did I miss?

Something got past me. Thinking about my walks out and around the house, the yard, through the woods, I thought I was thorough. I wasn't. He got by me. He got into this house, so close to Cassie that he scared her. It won't happen again.