Chapter 18

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 18

Travis

Moving quickly, I managed to catch her before she landed in the glass around us and got hurt. Scooping her up, I carried Cassie to the back room and set her on the couch. She continued to shake whether from fear or cold, she curled herself into a tight ball in the corner of the couch. I can only watch her struggle to pull herself together.

I don't know how to help her. I'm from a family of men. My mom, bless her, raised four boys. She was horribly outnumbered by testosterone and not only survived us, but she led us. She is an amazing woman who can do anything. She never cried, never yelled, but spoke softly and made her point clear every time.

To find myself having to comfort a woman who is going through an emotional crisis is not in my wheelhouse. I have a lot of skills in battle, in defense, in protection, but I am not prepared for this.

Think about it, what would mom do?

Doing the first thing that came to mind, I grabbed the blanket from the back of a chair and wrapped her up in it, rubbing her arms with my hands to warm her. I got to my knees in front of her on the floor, watching her snuggle into the warmth that now surrounded her. So far, so good.

Then the first tear fell, and another. No, I'm not prepared for this. I'm not even close to knowing how to handle this. Maybe I should call the Colonel.

He would know what to do for her, wouldn't he?

No, bad idea. He's probably as useless in times like this as I am. The best he'll say is pack them up and bring them home. That might be a good idea but I doubt Cassie will agree to it. If I'm going to get her to agree to leaving, first I need to get her thinking clearly.

"Calm her down, idiot. Make her feel safe." Mumbling to myself, I give myself the only advice I can think of.

Cassie must have heard me. Looking up at me with those big blue eyes, tears streaming down her face, she frowns trying to understand me. "What did you say?"

"Nothing. I was talking to myself. I'm not good with tears." Explaining my ineptitude to her isn't helping matters.

Desperately I tried to look at anything but the tears. She needs me, I'm all she has at the moment. Being an idiot about the tears won't help. It should be a simple task, to get her warm and settled down. But given that the only thing covering her is black silk I'm limited on where my eyes should be. Can't focus on the tears, definitely can't focus on the silk.

I'm screwed!

Tugging the blanket around her, I solve one problem. She has to relax so I can understand what has happened since I left. Keeping my hands gentle as I sit next to her, I pull her against my chest and comfort her as I scanned around the room. Nothing else seems out of place. Just the flowers that were at the bottom of the stairs.

"He was here. I heard him. I was upstairs and heard the door, his footsteps were so loud." Turning her face into my chest, she buried her face and cried.

Knowing that we've just ran out of time, she has no choice but to tell me everything. She has to understand that. "He's not going to touch you again. I won't let him, Cassie. But I need you to tell me everything. I can't do my job if I don't have all the facts. Can you do that?"

Looking up, so innocent and frightened, Cassie nods. Her hands tremble as she grabs the blanket and pulls it to her chest. "Anthony is here. Was here. I don't know how. I went up after you and Mel left to get a shower. I was getting ready for work when I heard him. The flowers weren't there when I went up."