Chapter 21

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 21

Travis

I made a couple calls to see if I could get any more information on Dean. The only thing I got was that he was released. No one knows where he went, who he is with or what his plan is. The only information that I didn't already have was that his mother didn't show up for work this week. That could be the answer to one question.

After our night together, Cassie and I have spent every night together. I'd like to think that she's more comfortable with me next to her every night but I'm not so egotistical to believe that. She is on her last nerve, anxious and scared of what Dean is going to do next. I've done all I can to keep her calm. But there's not much I can do until we are rid of him once and for all.

Things seem to be moving along well with us despite the circumstances. We take turns fixing meals, she actually cooks something edible, while I do better with cold cereal and sandwiches. We share the chores and spend time with Jacob together.

Keeping us close to the house we avoid any long walks or trips into town. I won't leave them here without me. We've relied on Mel coming and going to get anything we need. She's asking questions neither of us want to answer. So far we have been able to avoid any explanation but it will only last for so long. The woman is very nosy.

I arranged for my things that I had stored in a storage unit to be sent here. Those arrived this morning and I've been busy getting them moved in. I convinced Cassie that I'm not going anywhere at last. I'm not sure how long she will believe that but I'm willing to continue ensuring her until she is confident in me.

After I finished getting my things organized, I quietly walked down the hall to check on Cassie and Jacob. It was so quiet in the room I almost thought they were asleep in the rocking chair. I stood in silence in the doorway just watching them.

The way she barely rocked the chair, the way Jacob curled into his mother, his head resting on her shoulder while his hand rested between her breasts. Cassie's head nestled against Jacob's forehead as she whispered a lullaby to him. I could barely hear her singing, but made an effort to strain to hear her voice. It is soothing, comforting for her to have that bit of normalcy after such stressful circumstances.

I know this is exactly what I've been longing for. A family of my own that I can love and believe in. Despite my issues with my father, and the estrangement it's caused between me and my family, I wish I had them by my side now. I'd like to talk to my dad about Cassie, have Mom tell me how to woo her, and my brothers to razz me over all of it. I miss them. I didn't realize how much until Cassie broke down that wall.

I want to bring her home with me. To meet my family, to make our own roots someplace I can protect her and Jacob where I'm on my turf instead of his. It would be easier knowing the landscape. I've taken a few walks around the property but not enough to know what might be out of place. That's Dean's advantage.

If I were home, I would know every inch of those hills, every mountain, every cave, every turn. I would have the advantage there. And I would have my brothers to back me up. They would step up to help us. I can trust them in a heartbeat to keep Cassie and Jacob safe.

I have to convince Cassie of that. I have to get a plan together for us to escape here and get her home. If Dean follows us, he won't last long in Dahlia against the McKennan brothers. We're a tough bunch who protect our own. Cassie and Jacob are mine, my brothers will accept them as one of theirs too.

How do I get her to see my way?

Patience and love, I remind myself. It was that phone call that helped me through the day. Mom is the epitome of those qualities. She has to be dealing with four strong minded, pig headed sons. She never complained about us but she said her prayers that we stayed away from trouble. It worked most of the time.