Chapter 26

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 26

Doc

As an old SEAL, I'm perfectly comfortable being back in action. Of course, I didn't plan on hiding in the limbs of a tree at the back of Cassie's house. Along with the fire team we brought with us, the house is secure from the outside. We can rest easy now that the exterior of the house is just as secure.

The Colonel is aware Travis has gone back inside. He trusts his daughter is safe with the boy. Although he hasn't seen the way Cassie looks at Travis or the way he dotes on the child. I would say the gunney is soft on both of them. That isn't a bad thing. It would be a good idea if the boy told the old man before he figures it out himself.

Climbing into this tree wasn't the best idea I've had. I'd have preferred my old recliner in my living room. I can sit for hours there, with the remote in one hand, a glass of sweet tea in the other, watching a ballgame with the sound of my wife cooking in the kitchen. That's my life now retired and old.

I've grown too old for this kind of excitement. It's more than I want to admit at my age. I like my comfort and stability. I'm entitled to that much after all the years I spent serving Uncle Sam.

Shifting in the tree, the Colonel looks over the branches at me. Sitting cross legged on the crook of a branch, peering through a pair of night vision goggles, he keeps watch.

It's a flashback to years ago when the two of us had been on missions together. We were in similar positions back then watching from the trees as we waited for the order to move in. The memories are bittersweet, remembering my brothers, and mourning them as well.

"Any change on the west?" the Colonel whispers, just loud enough for me to hear.

Pulling the goggles away from my face, I glance over at the Colonel. His frustration is obvious by the frown on his face. "Not a damn thing. If that idiot plans on doing something tonight, it better be soon. My legs and ass have fallen asleep. If I have to get down from here fast, I might as well just fall out. Won't be able to stand once I get down." My complaint is ignored. Feeling my age, I'm getting cranky, curled up in the damn tree.

"Looks like Cassie has gone to bed. All the lights are out. McKennan is on watch." Pulling the goggles down I look at my friend. "I saw him in the center, upstairs window."

"Looks like our friend isn't coming back tonight." My observation is ignored as I shift my position. "John, why don't we let the youngsters sit in the trees?"

"I want a good vantage point. I would be ambushed out here." Same old John. He doesn't trust anyone to do as good of a job as he will. Someday he won't be the best and it's going to piss him off.

"Earl! Nine o'clock!" John ordered, causing me to bobble the goggles. Good thing I have the rope around my neck. Looking in the direction specified, I see it too.

"Subject located." A Marine reported through the radio. In the distant darkness, one of the men was reporting in. He had seen the movement across the backyard in the shadows as well.

"Pursue at a distance. " John spoke quietly into the radio. We have Anthony Dean at last.

Now, we just need to notify Travis he is no longer alone. Taking advantage of technology, I text Mel with the news. She'll get word to Travis.

John leans back and takes a deep breath. His wife will want to know what was happening. She had been upset when he left, but he couldn't wait any longer for news. He had to get to Cassie. His girl was in trouble, that's all he could think about. I understand the worries of a father.