Chapter two

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 2

Travis

I pulled into an empty parking spot in front of the old diner and surveyed the street. A barbershop was on the corner, with two men sitting outside the door in high-backed wooden rocking chairs. They are intently playing a game of checkers that had ceased the moment I pulled into the parking spot. There are two women standing outside the local grocery store. One with a small child hitched on her hip, the other with her arms loaded with groceries. Both women continue to talk, but each of them keep their eyes on me as I unfold myself from the truck.

Nodding a greeting in the women's direction, then I do the same toward the two men, I make his presence known, and acknowledge that I'm being watched up and down on the street. This isn't unfamiliar to me. I grew up in a town not much bigger than this. Small towns are always curious and leery of strangers. I'll keep my distance and be polite, reserved. I know how this works, I need to be open just enough that I'm seen as friendly and harmless. In no way can I give away my true intentions. My orders were clear, no one is to know that I'm here on the Colonel's orders.

I need to gain the town's trust quickly before I can earn the right to be welcome in Cassie's home. No local in their right mind would send me there without first checking to see what my intentions are. Cassie is alone with a small child. Anyone who knows that will be very protective of her, especially if they care about her. From the looks of this small town, I'd wager they watch out for their own.

Pushing the door to the diner open, all conversation stops as I step into the building. I can smell burnt coffee and fried bacon swirl through the air from the breakfast crowd.A waitress stood behind the counter, her gum popping and a pot of hot coffee in her hand. She must have been in mid-pour when I walked in, because the pot is still dripping coffee from its spout.

An old man sits at the far end of the counter, a cigarette in one hand and his coffee in the other. He nods his head in greeting to me, then turns his attention back to the ballgame that is playing on the black and white TV on top of the cook's station.

The diner is a hole in the wall and probably a staple stop in the town. At some point every day, I'd wager that the mayor, chief of police and every local comes in here for a slice of pie, a cup of coffee and the day's gossip. It's the main gathering place for information.

The old red vinyl booths have been taped in places holding the vinyl together. The stainless steel silver stools at the counter are a throwback to the fifties. And the black and white checkered tile floor all give the impression of stepping back in time. Walking through the room, to the far end of the restaurant, where an old couple sits quietly in a booth, I make sure every eye sees me. All conversations have stopped and the only sound in the place is Hank Williams playing from the jukebox. I give a smile to the old couple as I take a seat in a corner booth and begin looking at the menu. Even the food is a flashback in time.

My  appearance isn't anything that will stand out. I made sure not to wear my fatigues or uniform. Some people see that as an outside authority and don't like it. My black hair is still cut short, the black t-shirt and faded blue jeans are  typical, clean and nondescript. The boots I'm wearing are old and well worn. I'm in need of a shave, but the five o'clock shadow isn't bad enough to make me look too intimidating.
When I used the restroom at the airport, I took a good, hard look at myself for the first time since I went into the service. I've seen my face scruffier, scarier. I look no different than other men on the flight.

Making note that I am a stranger and handsome to boot, the waitress adjusts her blouse and fixes her hair before she makes her way across the scuffed floor to the booth I've settled in. The selection of eligible men in a small town like this must be next to none, so a single thirty-something woman in a place like this has to jump fast when fresh targets are available. A tall handsome stranger is always a good place to start.