Chapter 17

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 17

Anthony

I got closer than I thought I would. Sitting in the brush behind her house, I pulled out a MRE to snack on and watched the clearing. The dislike I have seeing that redhead hanging around here is nothing compared to what is boiling in me seeing Travis McKennan here. I met Travis in boot camp and instantly disliked the goody two shoes. Oh, I pretended we hit it off for a time, but it didn't last. When Travis was put in charge of the unit, that's when I lost interest in playing nice. That's when I felt the first sting of rejection from the corps.

I was a good Marine, better than Travis. Not that he was exceptional in any way. Travis was average at best. I made sure that I stood out among the others in the unit. I was the one who should have been put in charge. I made it clear to the commander who should have been in charge of the men. He was short sighted and favored McKennan over everyone.

Blind as a bat with no balls for battle, that what they were. None of those bastards could match me, not that they tried very hard. Lazy, all of them. McKennan barely tried when he had to go up against me. He didn't have the stomach to deal with the pressure of battle.

Why would they choose him over me? Besides my outstanding combat abilities, I bested McKennan on and off the range. Did the Colonel see the way I won every drill? Did I get any accolades for my exceptional skills with the fifty cal rifle? The automatic or the hummer rifle? No, I was told I was acceptable but nothing special. I was told I didn't have what it took to be a leader.

I'll show them what a leader looks like. I'll show them what I'm capable of.

It didn't matter what I did. It didn't matter how much better I performed against McKennan. The pretty boy was their favorite. I couldn't show the truth to those that mattered. They wouldn't listen to me. All because of him, I was pushed down in the ranks while they lifted him up. It was McKennan who ruined the corps for me. Because of him, I was forced to change battalions.

That change had set me back on my plans, but I got there eventually. Now perhaps, that extra time in the ranks was for the best. I had time to meet Cassie, I had time to get her to trust me, to turn her away from her father and isolate her from everyone who might warn her against me. If she hadn't been so defiant that night, I wouldn't have gone to the bar to escape her endless nagging. I would have stayed out of the brig and not been dishonorably discharged.

But luck was on my side after all. If none of that had happened, I wouldn't have Cassie and McKennan in the same place, at the same time. Two birds, one stone. My luck has certainly changed. And how exactly did McKennan get involved with Cassie? I'm sure dear 'ol daddy just loves his little girl hooking up with his prized soldier.

Squeezing the pouch in my hand, food spilled over my fingers. What a waste! Tossing the pouch on the ground I shook my hand and wiped the mess off my hand. Control, it's imperative I remain in control of the details. Losing that, my power over the situation will diminish. I wouldn't want to not be at my best for Cassie.

I have to see this as an opportunity not a setback.

Now I can punish them both for their betrayal. Watching the annoying redhead put the kid in the car, my blood sizzles. Cassie didn't follow my orders. She had the child, without my consent. I gave her a direct order and she disobeyed me. Another infraction I will have to correct while I'm here.

It wasn't that the child wasn't worth considering. After all, he has my genes. It could come in handy if my plan runs into trouble. It just wasn't the right time. Timing is everything. I had a plan, it needed to happen in exactly the right order. I hadn't made it to officer status yet. Of course, now I never will thanks to that bitch. The very thought of her creating my failure boiled the blood in my veins.