Chapter 25

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 25

Cassie

The house is silent and dark. It amazes me that I was able to fall asleep with so much in my head. Feeling a bit groggy, as if I had taken a sedative to get to sleep, I try stretching and feel like I can barely move. My body feels too heavy and lax. The effort it takes to move is almost too much. Rolling to my side, I look at the clock, 3:16 am. I'm surprised Jacob hasn't woken me up yet. Pushing back the quilt, I push up and throw my legs over the side of the bed.

Travis helped me a little too much, getting me to relax. He has given me so much more than I expected when I agreed to rent a room to him. I don't know how I will ever be able to pay him back for everything. He's just such a wonderful man.

I'm grateful for everything he is doing for me, his strength, his patience, and his gentle hand with me and Jacob. These feelings that are reeling in my heart are so much more than I bargained for. Travis was able to break through my walls. I thought no one in a million years would ever be able to touch my heart again.

From his soft smile, and gentle touch I know if he is willing to have me, I'm his. Travis is honest, and his actions are genuine. He would never hurt me. He won't lie to me or belittle me. He has treated me with respect and care. Because of all that and more I feel a renewed confidence in myself and him. I can't imagine Travis ever hurting us.

He keeps his word. If he says he's going to stay and see this through then he will. He means what he says and I believe him. Bringing the quilt to my face, I breathe him in. I can smell his scent on the blanket. He must have covered me up, when he couldn't stay any longer. He does have a job to do and he won't fail me.

He makes me feel safe. He makes me feel all kinds of things. I should tell him how I feel. If he doesn't feel the same I will end up making a fool out of myself, but I will deal with it. I have to be honest with myself and Travis. These feelings I have are too strong to deny. Travis needs to know that.

Travis

The chair is uncomfortable. The old wooden rocker wasn't meant for a man my size to sit in for any length of time. I stretched out my legs in front of me trying to wake them up. My feet have gone tingly as I wiggle my rear to get the feeling back in my ass. The pistol rests in my lap, my hand wrapped around it, ready for a fight as I watch the end of the hall. I placed the chair between the two bedrooms and faced it toward the stairs. If Anthony is planning to come back tonight, he will be getting a surprise.

I planted myself in the middle of the hallway to block any chance of Dean getting to Cassie or Jacob. My eyes feel dry and tired. My body has been abused by the tension that has hardened every muscle into knots. I keep remembering the look in Cassie's eyes when she told me what Dean had done to her. It makes my blood boil knowing she went through that alone. Rubbing my eyes, I work to keep my mind on the present. Looking back won't do either of them any good.

Hearing the baby cry and babble quietly, I listen in case he needs some attention. I can handle the kid without waking Cassie. She needs her rest. That soft sound brings a smile to my face. Jacob has managed to wrap me around his little finger quicker than I thought possible.

Jacob already stirred an hour earlier and I went in to him. The boy was reaching out for me the moment I entered the room. A small cry for "mama" was all he said when I picked him up. Without thinking of waking Cassie, I brought Jacob into the hall with me. I rocked him for twenty minutes, before Jacob finally went back to sleep.

I keep remembering the hollowed log and the trash that had been left behind. Sloppy for someone who should know better. If he doesn't want to be discovered, he shouldn't have left anything behind. So why did he?
Because he wanted me to find it.
It was an invitation to come find him. He wants me to go out there and search for him. When I do, will Dean be waiting for me? Or is It a setup to get me out of the house and long enough for him to get in. He wants to get to Cassie.