Chapter 29

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 29

Colonel

By the time McKennan hit the ground, he was out cold. I stood over him, my gun aimed at his head. I remembered another confrontation during our early days of service...

The two Marines stood at attention outside of the Colonel's office. The Colonel worked behind closed doors, but his voice boomed throughout the hallway. He was in a mood and everyone on the base knew that meant their asses would get chewed out before the day was through.

"Dean, McKennan, get your asses in here now!" The sharp order didn't hide the Colonel's anger at his men.

"Who the hell do you think you are? You're on my time. You don't have a personal battle during drills." The Colonel is furious. "I don't give a damn what's going on between you two. Cut the crap before I have both of your asses hanging from the flagpole. Do I make myself clear?"

The Colonel didn't mince words. He didn't beat around the bush. He is a hard-ass that will tear even the strongest Marine down to a blubbering mess.

"Sir, yes, sir!" We responded, remaining at attention and waiting to be dismissed.

"McKennan, I need to speak with you for a moment. Dean, you've got new orders. You're to report to the mess hall. Apparently there's some extra dishes tonight that need scrubbing. Dismissed." The Colonel spoke without looking at either of us, but sifted through the file on his desk.

I saluted the Colonel, his back turned, and left the office. I remained outside the door to eavesdrop on the Colonel's conversation with McKennan. My fury grew as I heard the Colonel's words to McKennan.

"I'm not impressed with the way you handle Dean, son. I am impressed that you haven't killed him yet." The Colonel said much quieter than before. "What exactly do you want to accomplish in the Corps, son. Do you have a goal?"

He had a friendly, fatherly tone that irked me. I've heard it before from some of the Company Commanders toward McKennan. The man must need to be coddled for the Commanders to tread so lightly with him. McKennan just can't take the heat. He will never make it out in the field.

"I want to get into Recon, sir. I'd also like to do Intel." McKennan tries to hide the excitement in his voice. He has been waiting for the opportunity to get away from me. He can't handle competition.

"Recon? I'll put the request in." The Colonel stated in agreement. "I can see you succeeding in either one, both if you stick with it long enough. You're good, McKennan. A fine Marine, you'll be even better with the right unit. I'll make my recommendations. We'll see what we can do. Keep your head, McKennan. Dean's a cunning Marine. Smart and slick. Don't turn your back on him. He will stab you in it." The Colonel isn't fooled by my cover. None of the commanders fell for the good soldier bit. I don't like having to follow orders that aren't my own.

How many times have I tried and failed to have McKennan brought up on charges unbecoming a Marine? How many times has McKennan managed to worm his way out and still get the ribbons and the Medals of Honor? It drove my fury further to make sure the deed is finished this time.

I will not have McKennan take one more thing that belongs to me. That includes Cassie and Jacob. I will take her and the brat, I'll make sure she can never betray me again. Allowing my fury to get the best of me, I kick the limp body at my feet. I'm just checking for signs of life, after all. So far so good.

Travis

I feel cold, inside and out. The hard ground knocked the wind out of me upon impact. The wound through my shoulder is bleeding bad. I feel lightheaded, tired. I need to get to safety. But I don't dare move. I heard the movement around me and knew that the enemy was close. The toe of Dean's boot rams hard into my stomach. I want nothing more than to slam him into the ground for the blow but I know I can't.
It's in my best interest to play dead. I'll do everything I can to convince Dean that he's disabled me, just short of stopping my own pulse. The only thing that's keeping me going, is the promise I made to Cassie. I promised her I would come back. It's a promise I intended to keep.