"These are warding masks, wear them to protect you both from harm" Urokodaki give both Tanjiro and Y/n fox-like masks

"Thank you Urokodaki-Sensei" Y/n takes her warding mask and bows Tanjiro did the same.

Y/n noticed Urokodaki's aura rise with worry "Don't worry Urokodaki-Sensei, we'll come back" Y/n says before finally turning away and walking to the final selection, Tanjiro right behind her.

❦ ❦ ❦

Y/n was in the forest, alone, she and Tanjiro had split the moment the selection started. Y/n accidentally followed a boy with black hair at the middle part of his head, dirty face and a scar on his face, she found the hairstyle rather interesting.

He shouted at Y/n, after realizing she wouldn't say anything he became quiet and just let her be. Two demons attacked and while the boy was busy fighting the first demon, the second one appeared from behind.

Y/n, quickly pushing the boy away, sat on top of him, and for a second or two, he stared up into her e/c eyes, until she got off and sliced both of the demon's heads off.

The boy sat there, confusion written all over his face, he snapped out of the trance once he realized the girl walking away, he tried yelling at her, telling her to wait for him, but she had already gotten way too far.

Now Y/n had killed 32 demons demons and had just killed another one, her warding mask tied on her waist. She hears a scream, she was about to walk away until she hears a familiar voice, screaming from the same direction.

Y/n sighed and ran to the direction of the scream, once she got there, she saw Tanjiro talking to a laughing gigantic demon, and an injured slayer behind him.

"Oh! Another student of his I see" the demon looked at Y/n "Now you two look like the last two who nearly killed me! Oh how fun it is!!" He smirked.

Y/n stared at the demon, her face didn't show any surprise or fear, which irritated the demon a lot. "Maybe I should keep your skull so everyone can see who they're messing with" the demon threatened Y/n

Y/n, who once again didn't say anything, unsheathed her katana "YOU BRAT, DON'T YOU KNOW IT'S RUDE TO IGNORE SOMEONE WHO IS TALKING TO YOU?!" The demon hissed and was about to grab her until she swiftly cut his hand with ease.

This shocked the demon 'nobody's ever cut me that easily..not even in my first form...and I can sense that a strong being has been around her...just who is this kid?!' the demon thought, not even realizing that three more of his arms had been cut off.

'this is going to be a long fight..it almost feels like a chore' Y/n thought as she stood next to Tanjiro, who has been staring at her since the demon started talking to her.

❦ ❦ ❦

Both their warding masks had broken during the fight, because they had been moving around in circles to try and find the demon's neck.

Y/n watched as Tanjiro held the demon's hand, whilst the demon cried, it's aura, that's slowly fading away, filled with sadness, regret, anger, and content.

Watching Tanjiro hold his hand, smiling at the demon who just confessed to killing every student Urokodaki has had, confused her enough, but knowing the demon had a pinch of positive emotion in it's aura only confused her more.

'strange kid..' Y/n thought, and was starting to walk away.

"Y-Y/n-san, wait!" Tanjiro yelled as he began to run to try and catch up with the girl, who slowed her pace. Once he caught up, Y/n looked at him, they were about the same height, yet she was younger than him.

"Thanks for helping me defeat the demon Y/n-san, you were really fast back there! And you didn't even use your breathing!" Tanjiro said in awe, stars in his eyes.

Y/n hummed "I'll only use my breathings if we're fighting a lower-moon, upper-moon, or the demon progenito"

During the whole week of the final selection, Tanjiro was like a kid with a new teddy bear. Whenever there was a demon he would go infront of Y/n and slay the demon, of course he let Y/n kill the other ones because he wanted her to pass as well.

He wouldn't leave Y/n's side unless he was fighting with a demon. And the boy with a scar on his face saw Y/n and was about to yell at her when Tanjiro held Y/n's wrist and pulled her to their next demon. This upset the said boy, with gritted teeth he walked away and slayed as many demons as he could find.

❦ ❦ ❦

On the last day, they were back from where they originally were. Both Y/n and Tanjiro noticed that there were only a few notable people left.

A girl with her hair tied on one side of her head with a butterfly clip, who also had a butterfly on her finger. She wore a small smile on her face, she noticed Y/n looking at her and it looked like she was about to do something, but Y/n had already looked away.

A boy with yellow hair of varying lengths, cutting off squarely at the ends where it fades to a darker orange color. He was crying like a baby and screaming that he was going to die, he too noticed Y/n's stare and he turned away, and turned back to her with a confident smile and a thumbs up.

And lastly, the boy Y/n accidentally followed, he was already staring at her. He seemed upset over something, Y/n sees that his aura had anger, jealousy and relief. Y/n was confused on why he was jealous but shrugged it off.

'maybe he wanted me to fail the selection' she thought to herself, finally when the two twins showed up, they began congratulating everyone that had survived.

Y/n looked over at the other person who stayed quiet, and sees that she was already staring at her,the disappointment in her aura changed to shock and joy when she noticed the girl look back at her.

She waved with a smile and Y/n nodded, she then looked back at the front to see Tanjiro gripping the scarboy's wrist, and the yellow guy crying, rolling on the ground.

Y/n walked over to Tanjiro and took his hand, Tanjiro blushed and followed Y/n back to their original posts, this made the scarboy even more angry.

'this whole selection is filled with people who only seem to have one emotion, not counting the girl..' Y/n sighed as the twins once again began talking.