Strong Like Water

Sea

I think...I'm flying? I can't hear anything, but I feel the air coming through my clothes, nipping and biting at my pale skin. Should I open my eyes? Do I deserve to see what alluring sight awaits me? Dare I spot the clouds of silk that help the sky sing the most beautiful song?

I'll do it..

On the count of three..

One... Two... Three!

I open my eyes. I see blue, but not the one that is littered with thick marshmallow clouds that cover that damned sun, No. This blue waved at me, inviting me in to hear it's sad story of how everything ends for me. I see now that I was never flying...but falling.

A muted scream pushes past my lips and I plunge into the water. It gathers it's hands around my throat and holds onto me, the creatures taunt me, the world is laughing at me. "How unpleasant, How ironic, Sea, the deadly boy who was afraid of drowning." 

*RING*

I jump up and glance around me. Everyone is leaving out of the classroom. I gather all my things and head to lunch making sure not to bump into anyone.

"Glad one of us could go to dreamlandis, I for one would've given my right leg to sleep in Greek Ancient History," Nina says when I sit down with my salad. "Meanwhile I would've done anything to get out," I say stabbing my fork into the shades of green, "Same dreams?" Nina questions and I sigh.

Nina is my best friend and she would probably kill me, heal me, and kill me again if I said otherwise. She's a healer, which got her quite the gig. She works as the school's athletic trainer and she has a side hustle of healing people for money or favors. She keeps it on the low of course since her mom is the school nurse.

Nina and I laughed, well she laughed and I blew air out my nose, while sending each other funny videos, when he walks in. Big and famous jock from the big and famous family, Andreas. He's in his white and gold volleyball jersey and a pair of grey sweat pants. A golden'1' printed on the back. Damn him.

He and his friends sit in the middle of the cafeteria, chanting and boosting one another up about the game tonight. "Are you-" Nina starts and I interrupt her "absolutely not." She snorts at my usual answer, and at this point I think she asks if I'm going to school events to be funny. "I figured" she says standing up and I follow her out.

Great —5th period with 'worlds best athlete' and his groupies. This is sadly the only class Nina and I don't share. I walk in and instantly wish I hadn't. 'Partner Project' is scribbled on the board in fresh chalk. I take my usual seat in the back and watch as others pour into the room, all avoiding seats around me. I would too I guess.

"Good morning class, let's hop right in! Yes, there's a partner project, No you aren't choosing your own partner." Ms. G states while slowly trotting around and giving everyone a rubric. Ms. G, of course, is a centaur and the G stands for Galina but she says G does just fine.

"I will now announce the names for the group partners...Ivy and Nova, Sophia and Cassian, Melody and Elara, Demitri and Troy," I no longer hear her voice as she continues, my 'partner' will more than likely want to work alone than with me.

"Lastly, Sea and Andreas" Ms. G claps and My eyes nearly pop out of my head. The air in the room grows thick as Andreas brings his things over to where I'm settled in the back. "We need you for the game tonight dre, don't die sitting next to that freak." His teammate, Maliki, spits, peering at me. I cower down into the desk further, trying to escape his gaze.

Andreas doesn't look up from his phone but I see him glance near me. "I'm sure things will be fine as long as they don't touch each other" Elara chirps making everyone agree, turning around, but something seems off about Maliki. He shakes his head as if he were coming out of a trance. Too many volleyballs to the face.

"This project will help all of you to get to know one another! You must spend some time with each other and write a paper telling what makes each other's abilities special." Ms G says with a soft smile. The project is due the 15th of November, meaning I have to spend...A MONTH WITH HIM!?

Andreas looks at me whilst I throw a silent tantrum like a small child. With one last toss of a piece of notebook paper, he speaks to me. His expression— well expressionless. "Come to the game tonight, here's my number." He slides a peace of torn paper to me and the bell sounds. Everyone leaves.

I sit completely confused for a second until I rewind what he said in my head..Come to the game. Come to...the game. Damnit