Chapter 7: The copy monkey

Gray skies shroud the city in a heavy downpour. It sets the mood in your favor while you watch the rain wash away everything in its wake. The sound of running water subdues you into a therapeutic trans. For the past four weeks, you have been avoiding Sun Wukong. At first, you dismissed your feelings and pressed on. You listened to his lessons and pretended to be fine. You became attentive to every interaction he made disregarding his opinion on romance. It made your heart grow fonder blossoming into wishful thoughts. It wasn't until you came home and saw a mirror that you realized how disgusted you are to want something badly enough that you would risk ruining a friendship. And so you broke down against your bathroom door feeling hopeless. Every time you meet the mirror, you berate yourself. Ironically, you stood too close to Sun that you fell from grace. His kindness, the little affection he gave for you drove your senses wild. All you ever wanted was love whether from a friend or another. It would be a lie if you didn't admit that you wanted the latter from him.

Through the days, you chose to heal your heart. Unlike most, when you're heartbroken, it takes time to mend. It might be dumb to some, but given how sensitive you are, you couldn't help feeling the way you do. The only time you wore a façade is for work. Otherwise, you hide away in the apartment.

As you dwell by the window sill, there is a knock on the door. You did not bat an eye as the stranger let themselves in. You hear rustling from their jacket before it makes footfalls, and then pats your back. In a brief instant, there is a connection, only this time, they can feel you. As you raise your head, you find MK mirroring your expression. Dumbstruck, and covered in tears by the overwhelming pain. He whispers your name under his breath. You turn away. The brunette composes himself on the sofa arm. He's at a loss for words as you have been dealing with the heartache alone. What could he possibly say to cheer you up? He thought you were charging from socializing.

"You should have told me." He started.

"I just want to be alone." You murmured.

"I get it, but for how long? You have friends that can help you." You hug your knees as MK rubs his neck reluctantly. "Monkey King told me you tend to shut the world out and let whatever is bothering you eat you up."

"Blabbermouth." You huffed.

"He means well. He said you require a little push now and then." The fact that the Monkey King is talking about you is conflicting. Your heart can't handle the mixed signals. The brunette's consultation didn't seem to make anything better. He sighs as he makes his way to the door. "I'm not saying to come back as nothing happened. I just want you to know that he misses you, but he doesn't want to barge unannounced without permission because you scolded him about it." You smirk that he still remembers the little stuff. He's even managed to put a smile on your face from a distance. MK doesn't say another word as he vacates the room.

You lean against the window frame disoriented to find out about Sun Wukong without wanting to. Being a total simp has it's follies. You for one, want to get a grip and run back to him. The other half wants to stay stuck with the case of the blues. Either choice is unacceptable and what you needed was someone with a level head. You stupidly let that chance walk out the door.

'MK might be right. I should seek help. I can't give up over an inconvenience.'

You wipe away the tears and set out on a visit to Pigsy's Ramen shop.

It took an increasing amount of courage to set foot into the shop after being M.I.A. Inside, nothing has changed. Pigsy is currently whacking Tang on the head with a rolled-up newspaper for whatever riled the piglet, while Sandy enjoyed his tea at a nearby booth with Mo on his lap.

"Same ole people." You commented. All eyes fall on you. They welcome you with open arms just as they always have. "Hey, everybody. It's been a minute."

"Mk told us you were going through something." Pigsy whacks Tang for spilling the beans.