Chapter 16: Love Monkey

After a long drive through the desert, you came across a vegetated oasis. It was put to a vote to set up camp and be able to stretch your legs. It also gave you space from everyone. Each person pitched in excluding Sun Wukong. Having been in stasis for long period. The only good news is his radiance is increasing. One may conclude his powers rejuvenating.

"He's not going anywhere." You jump as Pigsy walks to your side. "Ya ain't gotta worry."

"Wh-what makes you think I care?" You try to play it off, failing miserably.

Pigsy quirks a brow. "You ain't fooling anyone, (Y/N)." He teased. Your cheeks begin to heat up. "Why don't ya help me whip up dinner?" You nod in agreement, taking one last glance over at your shoulder before trailing the pig.

Pigsy's nudge was the distraction you needed. He fixed everyone a bowl of noodles while you worked on the dessert portion. A cheesecake, perfect under the weather conditions. You secretly left a slice for the Monkey King, should he choose to eat it.

Later that night, you sat by the end of the river to meditate. Since the Spider Queen's invasion, you are able to visualize floating orbs. Furthermore, their aura resembles that of Sun and Macaque. Whenever they are close, you can picture them vividly. You've gathered the objects belonging to the simians. The question is why and how? It's a mystery the source of your powers. As much as you want to know, you have to put it on pause until Lady Bone Demon is vanquished.

'One step at a time.'

MK is gradually regaining his powers for the sake of his friends. It inspired you to harness your own. You inhale and exhale, repeating the process into a deep meditation. The floating spheres emerge from the darkness. You stare at the gold as it hums in harmony. The purple one burns like an exotic flame. You reach for it and hold it in your arms. You can feel him. He's unsettled and frightened. To soothe the ball, you embrace it, projecting your warmth onto his.

'You're okay.' You cooed.

The aura stabilizes in response to your efforts.

'I don't know where you are, but please be safe. I still believe you have good in you.'

Your eyes shift to Sun's energy orb.

'Both of you.'

You come to, content with the message. You gaze at the moon wondering about Macaque. Guilt consumes you, reminded of Sun's reaction toward your relationship with the demon. There is a secret you haven't told him in regard to the kiss.

You run a hand through your hair, distressed. "What the hell am I doing? Getting worked up over nothing when we're not a thing?" You scoffed. "I'm just acting a fool. A desperate fool."

The drama you've built is pointless. The real problem pretending there is something in between. How long will you keep a charade until Sun throws you away? The thought alone hurts you. The truth of the matter is you are the one straining the relationship. It's you. You let it sink in then retire to your tent.

The next day, the group decided to set out in the afternoon for a safer passage where the truck won't overheat. MK, however, wished to train a bit longer. Sandy and Mei assisted by the river while the rest Pack up camp. You neatly stashed the items received from Tang while Pigsy procures the furnishings. Tang peeks inside the car riveted by the Monkey King's glow.

"That's gotta be a good sign." He commented.

"That's all he does. Glows and sits around all day 'cause he's gotta get his strength back, and apparently can't spare five minutes to pack up camp." Pigsy grumbled. In the past, you would be prompted to concur with Pigsy, adding fuel to the fire; yet the argument has left quite the impact. Words were exchanged, harming each other in the process. You did most of the damage.