Chapter 36: Ai

Imprisoned, you hug your knees reflecting on the poor choices you've made. You sink into a deep conviction. You're emotionally exhausted from the constant roller-coaster. You're slowly learning one surprise after another from other people than your parents. You're angry for concealing the truth instead of seeing the dangers of their actions. You hear footsteps approach, and before long you hear M.K. call out to you. You snap out of your trance to greet your friends. Seeing their faces soothed you. It has been a while since you've seen them.

"Why didn't you need Monkey King's warning?" He started. You stray to said simian who is less upset, and more worried.

"Sorry." You mumbled dejectedly. "That judge rubs me the wrong way and I just snapped. I'm really sorry. I tried." Sun takes your hand through the bar softening his expression.

"It's alright, sweetheart. The good news is they haven't sentenced you yet, but I don't think you have a chance to mess up anymore." Sun informed.

"I know, but what am I supposed to do? I have no idea how to defend myself. I'm not my mom. I only know what she did from what dad told me." All eyes fall onto Lixin on cue.

"I'm sorry." He said.

"It's too late for apologies. I might not make it without an explanation." You sighed heavily.

"Lixin, I know the topic is sensitive, but your daughter's life is on the line, literally." Macaque began to prod him for a proper response.

Your father grips his cane attempting to muster the courage to confess. He takes a couple of breaths. "You have every right to know. You always have. It's difficult because I've been trying to protect you and keep you from blaming yourself."

You furrow your brows quizzically. "What are you talking about? I'm strong enough to handle whatever it is you're going to tell me. You have to have faith in me."

Although the idea is nice, Lixin shakes his head knowing full well what might happen in the next few minutes. "For you to truly be free you would have to know what happened to your mother of which you already have half of the story. The part I left out was her true cause of death." He pauses as he recalls your birth. "When Ai gave birth to you, you were healthy as can be. A year went by and your health started declining. You were constantly sick and pale. You almost had no color. Your mother wept, devastated to see you in such a state. She said she knew there was a possibility of your birth being difficult."

You grip the bars, fearing the way the story was turning out to be far worse than you had imagined. "She mentioned sometimes humans and Messengers are incompatible, but she wanted to deny the truth with all her heart. She then proceeded to inform me the cure to it requires a sacrifice." Sun and Macaque focus on your pale reaction. They can sense your fear. They hold each one of your hands and rub their thumb over your knuckles soothingly. "Your mother took part of her soul and embedded it into you so that you may be able to harness your powers properly. However, she asked that I keep you from learning any."

"To keep detection from the celestials," M.K. said piecing together the puzzle.

Lixin nods in affirmation. "It shortened her lifespan and weakened her immune system."

Sandy wipes a tear from his eye touched by the tragic story. "How beautiful, yet sad. A mother's undying love for her daughter."

You step away, speechless. You started to understand why your father would look away. All the times he would be busy. "That's...it's my fault she's gone. That's why you couldn't face me. All those times you would be quiet." Tears stream down your face tormented by the image. "I'm the problem. I'm the one who ruined our family."

"No, that is not true." Lixin reaches out but you refuse to let him touch you.

"You kept something this serious from me for years? I don't blame you for all the times you shunned me, but keeping me alive to bare this burden is cruel. You should have let me die!" You lamented.

"No!" Macaque denied. "You say that now, but you have no idea the impact you have on everyone. Your parents would have mourned you. Regardless of the choices you and your parents made is a difficult one. No matter how you look at it, there would be no happy endings." You calm your breathing listening to his lecture. "What Sandy said about a mother's undying love is right. As a parent...or a partner...I would have sacrificed myself to save you too." Macaque turns to Sun. "I wouldn't be the only one." He smiles softly at his counterpart. "Please don't think anything was in vain."

You sense his heart pound for you, attempting to soothe you. "You're right." You sniffled. "But this is all so much to bare." You clasp your shirt over your heart, pained by your mother's death.

"You won't be alone. You have never been alone, (Y/n)." M.K. assured. "We'll help you every step of the way." You're grateful to have moral support after years of loneliness. You have the love of both your friends and partners.

"Thank you." You compose yourself once more. A question pops into your head. One that remains unanswered. "If my mother's soul is with me, is it possible to hear her or see her?"

"Sure. As long as a soul carries a host, anything is possible." Sun said. "Are you thinking of somehow conjuring your mom?" Lixin becomes intrigued. The idea of being able to see his beloved wife once more.

"Yeah, but I know it will work because she's been talking to me for a while. She went mute before the trial." You revealed.

"Then maybe she can personally testify?" Tang cheered.

"There are no rules against it and since the case is about Ai, it would prove useful," Nezha stated.

You hum in deep thought about how to force your mother out. Just then, you remember the number one lesson instructed by Sun. You cross your legs and close your eyes in a meditative pose. "Smart girl." Sun grinned. "She's going to tap into her soul in search for Ai." He takes a seat and patiently waits. "This is going to take a while."

"She doesn't exactly have time to do so," Pigsy commented.

"No, but I can stall for time." Nezha volunteered. "I'll distract the guards." Sun thanks the prince with a thumbs up while the others take a seat and pray the extra time will be enough to produce results.