Chapter 12: The shadow

You stir awake unsated by the squabbles of Sun Wukong and MK outside. You check out the commotion, startling the brunette for your presence is incredibly convenient. He can only speculate you had slept over and did the deed with him. "Um...did you just come out of Monkey King's house or..." You avoid the question and point to the simian. "Oh, he says he's going on vacation."

"Vacation?" You parroted.

"That's what I said." MK pulls out his vibrating phone and reads the notification about some "sleep bug". Out of anger he throws his phone and crosses his arms like a child having a tantrum. You pat his head apologetically.

"Dawe, come on, bud. I promised myself when I found a successor I'd go see some friends, take a tour of my old stomping grounds, just cut loose, ya know?" Sun pulls out a pair of red shades from his bush and slips them on. "Ooo, gonna need these." You furrow your brows bewildered by his abrupt decision to go on vacation.

You cup Sun's cheeks, stunning his movements. "Sun, are you alright? You're behaving strangely. Does it have anything to do with the bone demon?" The close proximity is enough for him to waver, thankfully his glasses cover his true intentions.

He moves your hands in his, "I'm totally fine, sweetheart. As I said, I wanna visit some friends." You take his words with skepticism.

From the corner of your eye, MK is starstruck by the interaction. "Are you two-"

Bemused, Sun interjects, "no kid, we're not a couple." Then resumes packing.

"If it's a vacation then why not take us with you?" You protested.

"Because the living isn't allowed in the celestial realm." His reply is evidently a load of crap when the team has gone before during his lockdown. Maybe not as tourists, but it's a lie nonetheless. The simian is leaving you in the dark for who knows why. Frustrated, you concentrate on reading his inner thoughts. He senses the connection and shoots you a deadly glare. "Don't." You jerk back, frightened. The serious tone in his voice sends a chill up your spine. "I know you're concerned, but don't invade my head. Please, just trust me." You turn away abashedly. He subtly caresses your cheek with his tail as he walked by. A small sentiment to eliminate any lingering doubts.

"What about training?" MK Prompted.

"Oh, about that." Sun clears his throat and poses heroically. "The next step of your journey you must do alone, But don't worry I'll check in. Give you some training tools, remote lessons." He loads his luggage on the cloud ready to take flight. "We'll figure it out. You'll be great!" He rambled and then disappeared into the winds.

In a fit, Mk shouts, "Fine! T-then just leave! At least my friends will never abandon me." He whips his head at you for validation. "Right, (Y/n)?"

You were spaced out until he hollered again. "Um...yeah, of course, I'll stand right beside you, but right now I'd like to stay and sleep a little longer." You sheepishly said.

"Oh...alright." MK is perturbed in leaving you alone. The Monkey King's unexpected urgency to go on vacation after the Spider Queen's ordeal must be taxing on you. You had just reunited only to be apart once more. In MK's opinion, it's infuriating to be ditched. "Are you...sure you'll be alright?"

"I'll be ok, Mk." You softly said. "If I need you, I'll call." Your pledge is sufficient for him to depart. You bid farewell and retreat into the house.

As you stand in the living room, your blood begins to boil, clenching your fists till the whites of your knuckles are visible. You target the coffee table, and flip it, launching whatever was on top of it. You break down on your knees and hang your head in woe as a waterfall of tears runs down your face. You're ticked off. Sun had abandoned you with little to go on. You thought there was a mutual understanding to confide in one another whatever the circumstance. Instead, he shut you out.