Chapter 22: The King's Love

Important Note: This chapter will be a little different. The P.O.V. of Monkey King and his feelings toward the reader throughout the course of their relationship.

"I can't believe I allowed myself to get caught."

Somewhere deep within the confines of the Monkey King's mind, he struggles to break free, resisting Lady Bone Demon's control.

"You can't win, Wukong. Give up. It will only be a matter of time before you're erased from this world"

Her voice echoes like an unwanted guest, poisoning his mind. He refuses to accept defeat. "Shut up!"

"What will you do when you escape? Run away?"

"No, I'm going to try again and this time I'll make sure I won't hesitate." He growled.

She cackles, "what if you succeed? Then what? Live happily ever after? I can see your memories and you're quite fond of the monkey boy. Even more so the girl."

"Stay out of there." He demanded.

"Awe, is she a touchy subject? She has you wrapped around your finger, yet you're afraid to truly open your heart and love her. You're afraid to make a misstep." She said. "Little did you know, you've already hurt her." Sun stops his movements recalling your passive-aggressive attitude toward him and having an argument of which he had it coming. "You're stringing her on without putting forth any effort and yet she loves you unconditionally."

It's true. He's been quiet throughout the journey, ignoring the signs and letting you suffer alone without bothering to communicate. He told himself repeatedly, denying his love for you and that it would all sort out on it's own. Every move he made was the wrong one and it wasn't just you, it was MK too.

"I did this to myself." He mumbled. The voices vanish leaving Wukong on his own. "I pretended everything was ok. Now, look what I've done. Everything is a mess." He hangs his head in defeat. All he's ever wanted was companionship. Having MK and the other reminded him of who he once was, but nothing compared to the love he has for you.

The time he encountered you, was three days after your arrival. He sensed MK's aura finally show. His time for a successor was close. As he monitored the brunette, your presence was unfamiliar to him. The demons in disguise were accounted for, harmless for the time being, but you are a conundrum. He used his gold vision to search for the mysterious glow, and as he swoops in for a closer inspection at the café, he finds you humming a tune.

He was confused, expecting a demon but standing in front of him is a human working diligently. No disguise of any sort. He observed you for almost the entire day when you noticed his bird form on the window sill. "Hey there, I didn't see you there." You chuckled. You move about as he follows your every move. Curiously, you offer him a piece of peach pie. Sun hesitated, checking for any tricks. When he deduced it was safe, he took a bite. His taste buds exploded from the wonderful flavors in his mouth. He cooed contently losing himself to the dessert. "You like it? Come back any time and I'll feed you another one."

And so your offer convinced him to keep coming back for more, spoiled by various desserts as though he were in paradise. Thus began his attachment to you. What won his heart was the way you tough things out whether from a rude patron or having a bad day. You managed to smile through it and in the kitchen, your passion for baking flourished. You worked late nights, without break determined to perfect recipes and see the smiles on your customers. You even provided comfort for MK, coincidently giving him the advice he needs at the moment.

Then one day, he received dire news about your accident. His body moved on its own, racing at the speed of light to save you. He didn't care about the consequences. He could deal with it after. As soon as he arrived, you had luckily gone unconscious. The only problem was where to leave you. It wouldn't be right to leave you alone after all of the goodies you gave him. Truthfully, he was tired of hiding his identity from you. Something about you made him want to try and co-exist in the modern world.