Chapter 26: The Guest

You quietly shuffle out of the shack to avoid arousing the Monkey King. As you set out of the mountain, you're startled by his upside-down appearance. "Going somewhere?" He queried wearing a smug grin above you.

"Stars! You scared me." You scolded. "I thought you were asleep?"

"That was a clone to keep you company. I figured you would try to sneak out without me." He descends from the cloud and starts to feign offense. "I'm hurt. Do you not trust me?"

You hang your head in shame as you explain, "I really need to know where I came from and if the Bull King family has any information, I don't want you to fool around." You notice Sun winces as you boldly come forward. The last thing you want to do is hurt him, but right now the focus is on you. You clasp his hand and squeeze it. "I'm sorry, but I don't want you provoking them with cheeky remarks if you are to escort me."

He squeezes your hand back in acknowledgment. "I got it. You need to have more faith in me. I can behave, peaches." He smirked. You send him a serious gaze. "Relax, I understand the terms. I'm aware of how important this meeting is so I'll do whatever I can to support you. Besides, who else is gonna take you to the blistering desert?"

"Um...I can think of a few people like Sandy or MK." You listed.

Sun pouts, bemused by your reply. "Okay, smarty pants. That was rhetorical." He sweeps you in his arms and prevents you from protesting as he takes off.

     That was two hours ago, and now you're flying over the dry sea. To think, you traveled across for the Samadhi fire rings and now you've nearly arrived at your destination in half the time with the nimbus cloud. Proof of Lady Bone Demon's attempts caused an effect throughout the journey.

"We're almost there," Sun announced, pointing to a cavern surrounded by lava and a bridge connected to the front gates where you land.

You marvel at the Gothic architecture only ever seeing it in movies. "So what now?"

"Knock on the door." Sun plainly answered. You drag your knuckles over the metal and knock.

"I don't think anyone would hear us com-" Just then, the gates open greeted by Red Son and his usual steely expression.

"It's about time. You shouldn't keep mother and father waiting. It's bad manners." He lectured.

You cover Sun's mouth before he could retort, reminding him of what's at stake. "Sorry, we came here as fast as we could." You apologized. The redhead tsks and then guides you into his abode. The exterior was nothing compared to the inside. A home fit for a family of royalty.

"I would give you the tour under different circumstances." Red Son commented.

"I understand. I'm eternally grateful to be granted an audience under short notice." Your gracious compliments sated the fiery demon. It was nice to know not everyone on the monkey squad is thick-headed.

         As you enter the courtroom, both Princess Iron Fan and The Demon Bull King sit on their throne with their heads held high. The Princess's eyes light up as you stand before her. Red Son clears his throat and presents the guests. The Bull King's eyes are glued to the simian, restraining the urge to strike at the behest of his wife. "Welcome," The princess started. "Our son notified us of your coming. To what do we owe this visit?"

'Here it is. The moment of truth.'

You're incredibly nervous about learning about a piece of yourself that your mouth has run dry. You can't form any words. You feel a hand clasp yours bringing you back to Earth. "You can do it," Sun whispered with the most tender tone. You're glad he invited himself for the trip otherwise you would have been tongue-tied. The Princess and Bull King are intrigued to witness the Monkey King's subtle compassion toward you.