Chapter 37: Reunion

You wander through the darkness, searching for a familiar presence. Even in the dark, you can see transparent paths branch off into streams connected to a soul. The one you seek is faint, pulsing like a dying star. You cautiously approach the soul and hold it in your hands. In an instant, you're transported to a meadow where the skies are clear and the sun shines above you. You can see a range of mountains from afar. You take in the beautiful scenery of tall grass swaying with the gentle breeze. An ocean except on land. You could sit for hours, a break from reality. However, it's not your objective and a warm hand on your shoulder reminded you.

You face a woman bathed in pure energy. She smiles. You can tell even with the blinding light. You're speechless at first as her name falls off your lips, she takes the form of your mother. Young, and healthy before her illness. Her image is uncanny to you with the exception of distinguishing features. "Hello, (Y/n)." She greeted. The heavy sound of the wind fills the awkward silence in between. As you process her figure, your body subconsciously embraces her.
_________________________

After a couple of minutes, you managed to compose yourself with a stroll. It's surreal that all of it is in your mind yet the sensation feels materialistic. "Have you calmed down?" She queried in a light, teasing manner. You stretch your hand as it grazes the grass while you pass by.

"Y-yeah." You stuttered. Ai chuckled. You realize how much you missed it. It used to fill the empty house. She alone would radiate everything around her no matter how gloomy. In a way, what she left behind was the example you wanted to make. Always smile and try your best. Do what you love and all will be right. In a way, she saved you. A conflicting thought. "I can't believe you're here. It's wild."

"Yes." She hummed. "I've always been with you, watching over you."

You halt in your tracks. "Then why didn't you talk to me? All those times I needed you and you didn't reach out?" Ai hangs her head. A deep regret washes over her. "I guess you didn't want to see me."

"No, that's not true. I just never could." She stares at her hand as she proceeds, "your body was adjusting to my soul and since I am half a soul, I didn't have the strength." You listen intently as if desperately wanting to believe whatever explanation she has to prove you wrong. "I am merely half a soul for the purpose of granting you life."

"I'm aware. Dad told me. And for the record, I don't think I was worth the sacrifice." You said and began to walk forward as your mother is left befuddled.

"How could you say that? Isn't your life wonderful and filled with joy?" Hearing her assumption irks you. She's been living in your body and watching through your eyes.

"No mother, it hasn't!" You snapped. The skies turn red and the realm comes to a full stop. "I don't know if you're pretending, but my life hasn't been peachy. Throughout the course of it, I have been alone and in misery. The life you left behind is worthless to me because you chose to leave out the important details. The ones that have me literally dying over." You clench your fists holding back the pent-up rage within. "All of it was pointless 'cause I won't be alive when the counsel has my head." The world changes to cool colors as it reflects your emotions.

"I'm sorry. I had no idea. I just...wanted to protect you from them. I guess in the end it became a tragedy." Your mom stares at the pond filled with sorrow then cup your cheek. "If I could go back in time..." She pauses as if unable to finish the sentence. "No, you were not a mistake. My wish of forcing your father's silence is indeed my fault. Perhaps, things would have been different?" You drop your shoulders as you regain your senses.

"Well...it's not too late to make it right. My friends and dad all are hoping that I could drag you out. Somehow prove your innocence by speaking through my body." You Informed.

"A possession?" You asked. "I could do that but..."

"No more "buts"! You owe it to me. Unless you want me to live the remainder of my life stuck in a cell or worse?"

Ai nods in agreement. "That's not the life I want for you. I'll help."

"Good." You said.

"The one thing I must warn you is if I do this, I will be gone forever."

Your heart drops to hear the last part. You just got her back and now you're supposed to expect her to leave for eternity? Why was she torturing you? What was the point of bothering to reunite if only to relive the heartbreak? Part of you wanted her to stay so badly and the other half was willing to go forward after what she put you through. You were upset at all the mistakes your parents have done. As harsh as it was, you knew they tried their best. In such a situation, you wouldn't know what to do either.

You're lucky you have the bane of the demon's existence at your side, Wukong, and his other half Macaque. Two powerful simians to protect you while your father only had your mother and even she wasn't free. "Maybe we can find another way?" Ai shakes her head at you.

"Even if you do, that doesn't make my fate inevitable." You tilt your head as she clarifies. "As you grow older and use your powers, I will be absorbed completely by you. Right now, there are only three months before my soul is absorbed and you regain full strength. As I said, I am not meant to last forever." You clingy onto her in disbelief.

"No, no! There has to be a way to keep you. It can't be that way. I just got you back." You cried. Ai holds you once more. "This isn't fair."

"No, which is why I wanted to keep you from hearing me. It would be too painful." It's her turn to tighten her hold. "I'm so sorry for everything. I want you to live a happy life and being able to see that you have friends is a great relief because you won't be alone this time."

"I don't want this to end."

"No, but I can't let you die either." She pulls you away to catch your tears. "Listen to me,  no matter what you do I'll be proud of you because I know you are in good hands with your lovers." You blush at the thought of them bringing a smile to your mom's face. "They'll take good care of you." Her body starts to become light and the world slowly fades with her. "Before we part, there is one more thing I have to tell you about your boys." You perk up curious about her warnings.
________________________

You wake up from meditation and find the crew making a commotion. You step forward and clear your throat grabbing the attention of the guards fighting your friends.

"(Y/n)!" They called out cheerfully.

You wave at them and with determination peer at the guards. "I'm ready to confess."

(A/N): Dang dude, the next chapter is the final chapter guys. I'll probably post it sometime this week. :)