Chapter 35: The Trial

You are officially an inmate. The golden shackles and guards escort you to court as though you've committed a real crime. You've been good, playing by the rules and yet somehow you end up in jail testifying for who knows what. You're bound to learn soon enough.

As you step out of the marble corridors, you find yourself in a spacious room with a single platform in the center where you are meant to stand before five members of the council. Waiting on the sidelines are your friends. The entire squad hollers for your attention, relieved to see you safe and sound. You make a quick detour to greet them while ignoring the guard's protests. Thankfully, Nezha is there to calm them and grant you the chance before the start of the trial. Sandy first brings everyone into a tight hug.

"I'm so glad to see you guys. I thought I was going to do this alone." You started.

"Not a chance. We would have broken in one way or another." Pigsy said.

"Nezha spoke with the council to grant us access to view the trial," Tang informed.

"So you'll be spectators?" You asked.

"Unfortunately, but we're hoping we can testify as a witness." You hang your head, troubled as to how you are meant to defend yourself with no context. Tears of frustration trickle down your face.

A hand cups your face, sweeping away your tears. "Awe, don't cry, sweetheart."

Another hand cups the other side. "We're not gonna let anything happen to you." You raise your head surprised to come face to face with Sun and Macaque. Both simians smiling at you, trying to console you. You quickly wrap your arms around both of them.

"You're here. You're really here." You whispered. They return the embrace as the others dote on the tender moment. Alas, it was short-lived as the bailiff announces the council's entrance. You're forced to pull away, hanging on to your lover's hands.

"Listen to me, you can't be cheeky or speak out of turn. One false move is all they need to find you guilty. So just listen and speak when spoken to." Sun warned. Fear runs down your spine as he slips through your fingers. Now you're put on the platform, caged like an animal to keep you from escaping. Whatever the council has against Messengers is serious. You suddenly felt weak from the golden cage, neutralizing your powers. All five judges take their seats blessing the room with their divine presence. You can feel their radiance. The atmosphere is still as their piercing gaze focuses on you. The judge quirks a curious brow.

"Ai (L/N). You are summoned here today to answer for your transgressions." You're shocked to hear your mother's name fall off his lips. At the same time, you realize you're being accused of your mother's sins. You part your lips and then refrain, heeding Sun's warning. A different council member speaks, a feminine voice than the main judge.

"As a Messenger, you must uphold your status beside a noble, advise and pass on messages on their behalf, and remain loyal to the Celestials. However, you have chosen to rebel and break a vow by helping a demon. You also hid for years to avoid punishment. Regardless, we are willing to hear your case and decide whether or not you should be forgiven." You chew the inside of your cheek, eager to retort.

From behind, Sun furrows his brows filled with concern. He knows how capable you are of exploding when you hold in your thoughts. The last thing he wants to see are the cracks extending and shortening your lifespan. Macaque squeezes the sage's shoulder with confidence. "She'll be fine. You need to have faith in her." His gaze redirects to you.

"Now that we have that out of the way. State your case as to why you should be forgiven." The judge permitted you to speak. Rather than run your mouth, you decided to take a minute to collect your thoughts. Your silence proved to the council of your convictions, but as promised, waiting for you to talk.

"Your excellencies, I understand the crimes put against me are of no way excusable. However, I am also aware that they are not truly meant for me, but instead for my mother, Ai." The council quirks exchange glances of confusion as you proceed with, "yes, I am the daughter of Ai a Messenger, and Lixin a human. Unfortunately, she is no longer with us. Therefore this case is pointless and I should not be standing here." Your friends' gape, flabbergasted by the sudden demand.  You send the councilmen a furious look, rising the tension before one of them snorts and breaks out into an all-out fit of laughter.

"You almost had us convinced. I'll admit your physical form has changed, yet your presence still emits the same signature, Ai." You're stunned by the news as is everyone else in the room. You assumed you were hallucinating her voice. Many questions swirl in your mind. How is her presence alive? Did you not carry your own? Is it the reason the council is blind?

"But I really am telling the truth." You said.

The judge bellows, "silence" echoing throughout the room, startling everyone. "Cease your antics and realize the server situation you are in." He sternly said. "If you continue, we will deem you guilty." You hang your head like a scolded child while the judge responds with a scoff. "It seems you finally have an understanding. The one good quality of a Messenger is their quick ability to become obedient." Your blood boils. You dart your eyes at the judge staring daggers. The nerve of the man treating you like a low-life even though he claims he's showing mercy. You can tell without using your powers his distaste for you in a passive-aggressive manner. The man is unfazed merely keeping his chin up like a snob. "How disappointing. Perhaps a short recess will help you collect your thoughts."

The gavel sounds, signaling the start of the break. The councilmen leave first before you're set free and escorted to your cell. You lock eyes with your seeing their concern. At that moment you've come to notice that you've made your position worse with no possibility of coming back. You let them down because you were tired of the chase.