Chapter 15: Talk

The silence within the truck was deafening knowing Ao Guang's sacrifice granted safe passage to the desert. Throughout the ride, the dreary thoughts subsided, numbed by the blazing heat. The air conditioner did little to quell anyone. Pigsy is molded in with the single chair in the entire structure while MK and Mei lie in a puddle of their sweat. Then there is you resting on the bed in your crop top fanning yourself with a paper fan. Your exposed chest caught unwanted glances from the boy, safe for MK. One of the reasons you prefer larger clothing isn't due just to your size but the numerous eyes you gain from your curves to your voluptuous mounds. It's invasive and embarrassing all at the same time. You've hidden them so well that you've forgotten the reaction your friends would make when you shed your jacket. The one person you sought for a response of course Sun who is currently in a meditative. What you received was a slight blush while pretending to have his eyes closed in his trance. You scoffed and marked a point for yourself.

"Are we sure we're heading in the right direction?" Sandy adjusts the rearview mirror to the back seat.

"Not a clue." Tang moves the map around trying to decipher the location of the rings. "All Monkey King said is to head west. So-"

Mei snatches the parchment to view. "How did anyone get anywhere using these?"

"Yo blue thing, wanna crank up that AC, brother?" You turn to Sun and shake your head in disapproval.

"Hey, a little help up front, Monkey King?" Mei pleaded. The ape refuses to acknowledge and avoids participating by appearing zoned out. "I know you can hear me!"

"No, I can't." Sun retorted.

The childish behavior exhibited by a so-called, "great sage" is baffling. He made a name for himself for his deeds yet he is different in person. You cannot comprehend how a powerful monkey came to be cunning. Annoyingly, MK jumps to the monkey's rescue. To have a student wrapped around his finger and a sweet one too.

"Mei, Monkey King needs to recharge after his fight with Nezha. He's in no state to waste his time on mere mortals." You click your tongue in distaste. "Especially now that I don't have my powers," MK informed.

Pigsy gapes, astonishingly. "Whoa! He told you that?"

"We have a very honest relationship, Pigsy."

"Ha!" You quipped. It's laughable the brunette believes every word that comes out of Sun. He is anything but honest with you or anyone. MK furrows his brows your way, perplexed by the remark. You clear your throat and say, "carry on."

"Besides, that mystic monkey meditation requires complete focus apparently."

Everyone looks at Monkey King scratching his butt before facepalming at the fact that MK has been told a lie. Sandy tries to uplift the mood, suggesting opening a window for a breath of fresh air. Instead, he's scorched by the heat.

"Kid, ya know there is more to ya than just your powers, right?" Pigsy said.

"Exactly. I've accepted that until I get my staff back I'm not gonna be the strong one anymore. Which is why I'm gonna be the smart one." The team's excitement is deflated to disappointment for MK's poor choice. A squared pulse B squared equals C squared. That's a triangle boy~!"

"Um...that's just the formula for the Pythagorean theorem." You commented.

"Right...so how does this map work exactly? How does it know where to find the three rings of Samadhi?" Tang queried.

"This looks like a job for smarty kid!" MK hovers over the map to decode the sketch. His assessment is the same as the others. He didn't have a clue. You can hear how hard he's trying to be useful. You can imagine how terrible it feels to be suddenly useless. You know a thing or two about it.