Chapter 38: Peace

(A/N): This is it guys. It's been a fun ride but not to worry, there is an epilogue chapter I'm going to add to this book so stay tuned. After that chapter is added, be sure to head to my Lego Monkey Kid one-shot book where you can request a one-shot. That way this book never dies and the fandom I've grown to love. Thank you for reading and staying this far with me. I'm hoping to see ya'll in the next book.

This was it. It's the last chance to convince the high council of your innocence. It's only been a short time since being able to process the fact that your mother will officially be gone and all of the secrets have been unfolded for you to determine your life moving forward. As you stand tall with your chin up, the council becomes intrigued by the change of atmosphere.

"I see you have collected yourself since our previous encounter, Ai." The judge said. His lips tug into an amused smirk. Your silence spoke volumes, as they're reminded of the old days. "I assume you will be stating your case in an organized manner. By all means, the floor is yours."

You nod in acknowledgment. "You asked me for my truth and so I will give it to you. However, I ask that you all be open-minded. My physical form is my own, but the presence you identify as Ai lives within me. Both of our souls are entwined. How is it possible you might ask? It's a last resort ability we Messengers can display at the cost of one's life." Your friends listen intently in awe as Sun and Macaque come to understand what they've been reading. Your aura is partly light with a humanly aesthetic touch. The judges raise a skeptical brow but do not object. You press a hand over your chest with a soft expression. "That does not mean she will remain alive forever."

"Quite an interesting concept. What does this have to do with anything?" The judge queried.

"It's merely a reference for what's about to happen. You want an explanation from Ai and she will tell you her story herself. Keep in mind once the interrogation is over, she will disappear completely. You will be left with me, her daughter, (Y/n). You won't be sensing her aura anymore." The judges begin to whisper amongst themselves while you look back at your forlorn father. You internally apologize that he took had to witness your mother come and go one last time.

Once the councilmen cease their talk, they grant you permission and amuse whatever you have in mind. You nod in acknowledgment and close your eyes as you start the communication. For a minute, the room was still, leading the judges to believe you were stalling. Before the judge can protest, your body glows. All the crack marks on your body healed completely and your voice changes to that of your mother. The court marvels at your radiance. Her appearance surprises the council. Her expression is stoic as her eyes lock onto them. "You beckoned?" Her name fell off their lips, stuttering. "You called upon my daughter in search for me to answer for my betrayal, but I have not gone astray."

"Liar! You helped the Demon Bull King and his wife. The ones that have caused issues for decades had Sun Wukong not sealed him away." The female judge was accused.

"True he was an enemy, but I could not turn away and ignore the cries of pain. As a Messenger, it is in our nature to soothe the person not cause harm. As is the same with those that have been executed. Our loyalties have always resided with the court." She said.

"Yet some of you betrayed your oath and went into hiding."

"No, they merely sought a different perspective much as humans do. Why should Messengers be tied down to one faction when we took seek unity, peace, and a place to belong? You granted us none of that. We were tools as a means to a pointless war between light and dark." The council grimaces at the fact. "Some of us saw through and wished for a better way through the action. Light and dark can co-exist. It is part of the balance as many of you celestials stated or have you forgotten?"

"Quiet!" The gavel is slammed, startling everyone. "We are not here to be questioned like a circus. This is about what you've done, Ai."

Ai is unfazed, staring deep into each member's eyes. "I am well aware as I am also aware that the war has long ended. There are no choosing sides anymore. My appearance itself is pointless and should be forgiven. I am not alive and my race has completely been extinct. All that remains are their descendants unaware of more powers. This isn't about justice, it's a grudge against me for saving my kind from total genocide."

The judge growls and slams the gavel once more. "Silence you, insolent creature. I will not have you mock my court with your ridiculous theories. May I remind you we are your superiors? You are graced by us and you should do well to respect us." The judge huffs and puffs trying to catch his breath.

"I was not speaking ill about any of them, only you judge, Feng." Your friends gasp gossiping about the hot drama unfolding before them. Said the man looking shocked as Ai proceeds to convince the rest of the council. They scratch their heads and mutter words as they contemplate. "True I am out of line, but all of this does not seem useful for anyone except benefitting you, my old master, Feng. You're unable to let go of your attachment to me, and purposely framed my species in order to get what you want simply because I refused to belong to you forever." The room begins to spin for Feng as fear consumes him. All eyes fall onto the judge.

"She's got a point." One said.

"For a decade, you've been obsessed with the Messengers. Even so much as act on your own by trying to gain permission from everyone to start some sort of witch hunt."

"You opened old wounds for your own petty reasons and on top of that are wasting our time with this case that's been closed for centuries."

One by one each board member began to turn on the judge, scolding him for bringing up the matter. "B-but it was for a good cause. I swear all of this is not for my own benefit." Feng rambled.

"Feng, it's over. We see right through you. If all of our stories align, how are you the only one that doesn't get it? If I remember correctly, Ai was indeed under your supervision when the tragedy occurred."

"You have no proof and neither does she." The spotlight lands on Ai who hangs their head.

"No, I do not." She admitted.

"That's not true!" M.K. shouted as he hops onto the platform ignoring Nezha's protests. "I may not know who Ai is, but I do know her daughter and her life is on the line for something she didn't do. You can't punish her for existing. Messengers aren't evil. There's not a mean bone in their bodies. They just...empathize and they're really good therapists." The brunette smiles toward Ai who is touched by the boy's kind words. The others follow in toe adding their two cents.

"She puts everyone else above herself," Sandy added.

"She's a great friend when you need her," Mei said.

"She's passionate." Pigsy chirped.

"Always keeps us level-headed," Tang said.

Lastly, the simian brothers step forward. "She's sweet like, peaches~" Sun smirked.

"And sugar plums," Macaque interjected.

"I'm sure the Messengers were never cruel or ruthless, to begin with, were they?" M.K.'s question puts the council in a pensive state when Nezha says one more thing to settle the case once and for all,

"If I may testify as well, I am a witness in the uprising of the Lady Bone Demon. She helped save the world without hesitation and put herself in danger for the sake of people."

The council exchange looks as Feng grits his teeth distastefully. The female celestial of the bunch steps forward. "I don't recall any Messenger being corrupted which is why it pained all of us more that they are gone rather than what they did. For the record, my best friend was also a Messenger. They were always there to comfort me. I think we all miss that, and it's safe to say that you, Ai shall be forgiven from this day on."

"What? No!" Feng objected.

"Feng, you are outvoted. We have agreed to leave all of this behind, but you will be severely punished for your actions in manipulating the realm. Case closed." The gavel slams down ending the trial. The crew rejoices in a large hug.

"I'm so glad it's over. I was on the edge of my seat." Sandy said.

"Me too. It was like watching a soap opera." Tang commented.

Ai smiles at each and every one of them. "Thank you for stepping in. You're all wonderful people. My daughter is lucky to have you. It puts me at ease."

"Aw shucks, Mrs. Ai." M.K. rubs the back of his head flattered by the compliment, as did the rest of the group.

Ai's attention turns to Lixin approaching from afar. She meets him halfway and embraces him one last time. "I'm sorry for the burden I left behind, but I want you to recover and be there for our daughter. No more hiding. She needs you more than you know." The two pull away to gaze at each other. She wipes his tears away. "No tears. I spent my life content at your side. I don't regret what we had. Please, take care of her." Lixin too choked up to say anything simply nods. Ai turns to Macaque and Sun. "You too. I leave her in your care."

Light begins to dwindle and scatter into speckles in the air as it leaves your body. You fall into your father's arms and come to in a matter of minutes. The last thing you see is a flutter of light dancing above like stars. You realize what they are. "Is she...gone?"

"I'm afraid so," Lixin affirmed as he helps you to your feet. You stand in the middle of the room with your friends watching the light show until it fades into nothing. Suddenly, you're overwhelmed by grief. You cover your face and fall to your knees. The realization that your mother is gone forever without her powers to soften the blown anymore. You can feel true pain now. Your friends gather to comfort you.

After the ordeal, your friends offered to celebrate at your father's house and lighten the mood with a bowl of ramen. The food alone certainly calmed you down. Later, you decided to catch some fresh air and sit on the hill where you and Macaque had a picnic. The perfect view of the city from afar to reflect. Not a moment later did Sun make an entrance by hanging upside down on the tree.

"Mind if I joined ya?" You chuckled at his enthusiasm as he plops a seat beside you.

"I'm fine you know. I just needed to get some air." You said.

"I know, I just wanted to check up on you." Sun stares crosses his arms as he gawks at the city. "Ya know, we haven't talked since I left and I-"

You both turn to the footfalls and find Macaque halt. He blushes lightly recognizing there was something going on. "Oh, s-sorry. I thought that you were alone." He rubs his nape and turns away to walk.

"Wait, come back. I want to talk to both of you. It's important." You admitted. Macaque hesitates yet takes a seat beside you nonetheless. "Sorry, Sun. You were gonna mention how we didn't get to talk properly and I have to say, you had every right to be upset. I had no explanation for loving both of you. I just genuinely felt an attraction to you guys." You fiddle with the hem of your shirt. "At the same time, there is a reason. This is going to sound messed up, but my mother had warned me about connections before I stopped meditating." The boys turn to you quizzically. "You see, Messengers are empaths. That being said they can also be connected to anything if they have strong feelings for them. In other words, when we first met and touched, I connected with your souls unintentionally. I started to fall in love each day because I felt really close to you guys." You turn to Wukong. "When we touched the first time when you offered your hand for a ride is when our souls attached." You move to Macaque. "You and I connected when I had a fever."

"So...you were never attracted to us, to begin with?" Macaque piped up. "Does that mean it was all a lie?"

"No, my feelings for both of you are true, I was simply able to understand you on a deeper level because I could read your souls and at the same time sort of forced you to fall in love which isn't fair. That's why I'm saying this now. I'm sorry for being unaware and putting you through all of this. If I would have known sooner what I am, you wouldn't be under my spell." You take a deep breath. "But there is a way to break it. She told me what to do. Once I do, you'll be free. It's up to you guys to decide what you want."

Your confession is a lot to take in. The simians stay quiet for the longest before they stand up. "Ok, break the connection," Sun said. Your chest squeezes and you bite your lip trying not to cry. You should have seen it coming.

"For once, I agree. Let's sever the bond." Macaque said. You sit still to collect yourself before standing up to face them.

"I understand. It was nice while it lasted." You mumbled concentrating your powers and remembering all of the memories shared with them. In a snap, their souls disappear and you are alone. They are no longer linked to you. You look up at them to see if they're fine. Their eyes are briefly dim before they shake their heads from the spell. You're relieved. "I'm glad you're ok. Now you two don't have to stick around with me."

"What are you talking about, doll? We still want to be with you." You blink at Macaque's comment.

"Yeah, we just agreed to sever because it wasn't fair. It sounds like making a connection is an intimate thing and while we're long past that, we haven't properly had a date."

"In a way, we want to start over from the beginning without any complications if that's cool with you?" You beam, overjoyed by their sudden decision. You take each of their hands. "Yes, I'd like that."

It's a great relief to finally be free of all the troubles you've been holding back and be able to start a new with your beloved. You wonder if things will be interesting in the future.