Nancy Wheeler- Nerves (c)

Nancy paused before you reached the front door to your parents' home. She took a deep breath and smiled. Her smile was large and fake, her eyes holding pain and nerves. Her brows quickly furrowed before she tried to smile in a different way and repeated the process a couple of times, attempting to find a smile that seemed natural on her face, although none of them did.

You moved your hand to the small of her back, to place gentle pressure to it and knock her out of her own thoughts. She snapped her head towards you, her fingers tightening their grip around the Tupperware she carried, filled with cookies she had baked earlier that day as an introductory gift to your parents.

"It's going to be okay," you smiled softly. "They are going to love you."

"I've never met someone's parents before... I've never met a girls parents before."

You turned yourself towards her so that you could rest your hands on her bent elbows, giving them a reassuring squeeze against her sides.

"They weren't too impressed when I told them I was gay, but they got over it and wanted me to be happy, well my dad was more focused on the lack of teen pregnancies, but he came around on the whole thing as long as I stay happy and safe," you explained, trailing off into a short ramble. "All they want is for me to be happy and if you make me happy, then they are going to love you as much as I do."

Although you couldn't show it, you were also slightly nervous. You hadn't introduced your parents to a girlfriend before, mainly because Nancy was your first, but you did believe they would be nice and happy with the girl you brought home for your sake, not that you could imagine that they would have any problems with her for any reason.

"Do you think I look okay?" She asked, looking down at her dress.

You nodded your head. "You look beautiful, Nance. You always look beautiful. You had nothing to worry about, you are beautiful and intelligent and funny. You've even brought them cookies, and my dad loves chocolate chip cookies."

Her eyes widened. "I don't have chocolate chip ones."

A soft chuckle escaped you. "He loves all cookies."

She took another deep breath.

"Just be yourself," you smiled. "Are you ready?"

Nancy turned herself back to the front door, settling on the smile she found the best and nodded to you.

You couldn't help but smile at how nervous she was as you leaned in to knock on the door.

~*~
Written by Charlotte.