Chapter 187: The Semi Boss

[Outskirts of the Kingdom, Near the border]

While Captain Kalego took over the opponent that got locked unto Shun, Merlin himself was currently going toe to toe against a battlemage and one of the executives of the cult, near the mouth entrance of the mountain. If it weren't for the person named Lucas who is seemingly the 6th executive of the cult, Merlin himself would have already infiltrated the enemy base.

However since his opponent is adamant on letting him pass, Merlin has no choice but to try get pass him through brute force. For awhile he have been seemingly fighting against such guys while the others were also pre-occupied, but since much time have already passed, he then couldn't afford to waste any more time against such opponent. 

After all the whole objective of this operation was to retrieve the Aquasphere from the enemy as soon as possible. The longer they aren't able to retrieve the national treasure, the more dangerous the operation becomes.

Taking everything into account, Merlin dashes forward as he brandished his longsword against his staff and struck it directly towards Lucas, who was left to no choice but to block it with his short sword. Afterwards not taking a single moment of a break, Merlin Pointed his staff forward as he released a blinding beam of light towards Lucas in point blank range.

"Photonic Beam!!!"

In that moment in a split second before Merlin's beam hit his opponent, Lucas then used his speed casting, completely finishing an incantation in 0.3 seconds and erected a barrier right in between them.

"Reflection Barrier!!!"

Just as it name implies the moment Merlin's beam struck the barrier, the spell itself immediately bounce back towards multiple direction causing Merlin to hastily jump away in order not to get caught in his own spell. But the moment he took his distance away from Lucas, the latter himself then suddenly appeared behind Merlin in an incredible speed as he stabbed his short sword towards his back

"Speed blitz!!!"

Feeling the sensation of his short sword stabbing his opponent, Lucas count help but smile in delight as he almost laugh in enjoyment and nearly mocked Merlin for his carelessness. However before he could even utter a single word of mockery, Merlin's whole body then disintegrated into a million of flower petals, indicating that he had been fighting an illusion all along for the past few minutes.

Such a move naturally ridiculed Lucas, causing him to explode in anger. After all such an act was like mocking a person who cant even differentiate between reality and illusion, and seeing them going all out just to kill that said illusion. Such a feat was truly embarrassing.

"Illusion? I've been fighting against an illusion this whole time?" roared Lucas in anger

In that moment while Lucas was raging to the fact that he was being mocked. The flower petals in which Merlin's illusion body had disintegrated from, then suddenly grew in number as it surrounded Lucas in the sea of circling flower petals. Due to the sheer number of flower petals surrounding him at high speed, he then lost his sight towards his surroundings as he senses and view was completely trapped inside this cyclone.

In fact he cant even breakthrough the cyclone of flower petals. The moment he struck his short sword in a slash towards the wall of flower petals, his attack would then be blocked by something hard as the force of his body would rebound back to him. He even used his spell to pierce a hole into this cyclone of flower petals, unfortunately his attempt was in vain as the cyclone o0f flower petals grew stronger.

As if growing impatient in this encirclement in which he couldn't escape from, Lucas then couldn't help but roar out his frustration.

"Where are you? Cone out! Fight me! Its no use trying to trap me here!!! If you plan to trap me here for as long as you could, you would never be able to retrieve your country's national treasure! the only you could deal with me is by killing me!"

But despite shouting out those words, Merlin was unprovoked as silence eroded the area. Due to such trick, Lucas couldn't even hear what's happening outside this cyclone. With growing anxiousness and impatience, Lucas then rampaged all over as he slash and blast all around him with the hope of able to break through this trap using a bombardment.

However such a solution was shallow thinking, after all a bombardment in such a trap wouldn't work at all, especially since he was fighting against Merlin who mostly specializes in nature magic and illusion. With the combination of nature magic and illusion, Merlin himself would be a formidable foe and each of his spell would become effective to any type of opponent. That is the reason why he was scouted by the lite force from the very beginning.

After for what seems like a few minutes of unable to break free from Merlin's trap, Lucas then exhaustingly dropped to the ground on all four as he literally expended a lot of mana reserves from his bombardment. Just by looking at how he rampages around, it is appropriate to say that Lucas himself was nearing the end of his mana pool. If such a situation goes on, Lucas was sure that he would be done in for the count.

He couldn't let that happen at all, no matter what he have to get out of this trap. But before he could even do a single thing to replenish his mana pool, Merlin then suddenly came in from behind as he stabbed his longsword towards Lucas heart.

Spewing out blood and his shaking eyes looking towards the sword that stabbed him, Lucas eyes was then full of regret as he lost all the feeling in his body and died on that spot. The moment he died the cyclone then calmed down as Merlin disintegrated his own long sword back to nature itself.

Seeing the dead corpse right in front of him, Merlin then sighed for a bit as he saw Shun running up towards him seemingly hurrying over to the entrance of the mountain.

Without any words, Shun then understood Shun 's aim as he too ran up towards the entrance and readied himself to retrieve the Aquasphere from the hands of the cult. However the moment Merlin was about to step inside the mouth of the mountain, a blue beam of light then suddenly blasted out from the entrance of the mountain, catching Merlin off guard and completely disintegrating the upper half of his body into nothingness.

Luckily such a body was also an illusion itself as the lower half of what remains from Merlin's body disintegrated into a petals of flower. Nevertheless such an attack was a force to be reckoned with, after all just from seeing it executed and disintegrate Merlin's upper half was enough to completely silence the battlefield once more