Part 15 (Carver)

It had been about two hours since CJ had left Daryl to head west. She reckoned it was about two o'clock. She had come across a couple of walkers but took them out with her arrows before they got too close.

There was no signs of Sophia. She had been to the highway to check just in case, but the supplies that her and Carol had left on the car that morning were untouched.

She considered heading back but decided to press on with her search. She didn't want to go back with nothing to show for the hunt. All she had come across were a couple of squirrel which she had on a string to take back to eat.

As she walked, she spotted what looked like a footprint on the ground. It was too big to be Sophia. She knelt down to get a closer look at the ground and saw that the fallen leaves were scattered as though someone had walked through the area recently. She couldn't see or hear anyone so she continued onwards. The tracks were probably just a walker.

She hummed quietly to herself as she walked. She could hear the dry leaves crunch beneath her feet. Along with the faint buzzing of various bugs and flies and the cheerful chirping of birds.

As peaceful as the atmosphere around her was, it was also hot. She was wearing jeans, a white tank top and her old green vest jacket. The sleeves of her flannel were rolled up to her elbows, which left her arms exposed to the sunlight as it peaked through the thin branches of the trees above her. Her beige cap rested on her head and her red hair fell down free down her back.

Deciding to take a quick break, she stopped by a tree and lay her bow on the ground next to her as she swung her rucksack and put it down in front of her. She ruffled through it to find her half full bottle of water. Even through the plastic of the bottle she could feel it was warm. Regardless, she took a sip, grimacing slightly.

"Well, well, well."

CJ immediately dropped the bottle and the water spilled out. She grabbed her gun from its holster and turned quickly to find the source of the gravelly voice.

She was met with the sight of a tall, well-built man with dark, grey hair and a short beard. He looked older than her, maybe mid-fifties. A sadistic smirk was plastered on his face. He had a gun in his hand, but he was holding it down by his side.

"Now, what do we have here?" he asked slowly, looking right into CJ's eyes.

"Who are you?" she questioned firmly, ignoring his question.

"Of course, how rude of me," he responded, holding his hands up, still holding the gun. "Name's Carver. You?"

CJ stayed silent, pointing her gun at the man's chest whilst her eyes flicked between his face and the pistol in his hand.

"No one ever tell you it's rude to ignore people, sweetheart? I'm gonna ask you again," he said with a stern expression as he tightened his grip on his gun which was still pointed at the ground. "Who are you?"

She didn't want to answer but his demeanour told her she didn't have much choice. "Jane," she muttered, not giving him her full name. If something were to lead to him following her or trying to find her, she didn't want him to know who she was. He could have others nearby.

"Jane... that's a pretty name," he nodded with a smile. "Jane what?"

She hesitated again before answering with a lie. "Barnes."

"Hmm. Well, Jane Barnes," he began, taking a step towards her as she stepped back. "What's a lovely little thing like you doing all the way out here?"

"Just hunting," she replied. No way was she going to tell this man that she was looking for a lost twelve-year-old girl.