Part 44 (Standing Right Here, Gotta Hold On)

The group gave Andrea a car to go back to Woodbury. They watched as she drove down the road and out of the prison before slowly breaking away to go back inside. It wasn't long before the afternoon daylight was replaced by the darkness of the evening and everyone was still awake, sitting around the cell block.

The only source of light was a few candles lit in the floor and the slithers of moonlight creeping through the thin glass windows. As if the darkness was their lives and the echoes of light were the small glimmers of hope that things will be better soon.

It was quiet. Everyone was lost in their own minds, each having their own thoughts, opinions and concerns for whatever was to come their way.

CJ stood with Hershel and Daryl, the former being in the middle. Her arms were folded, and she leant her back against the closed cell door, shivering slightly at the coolness of the metal.

Breaking the silence, Beth looked around with a small smile and started singing one of the old country songs she loved; 'Hold On' by Tom Waits. Her voice was quiet at first, but it picked up an echo making it loud enough for everyone to hear.

"They hung a sign up in our town
"If you live it up, you won't live it down"
So she left Monte Rio, son
Just like a bullet leaves a gun"

She caught CJ's eye for a moment and CJ smiled softly at her. Music was a rarity and aside from singing to Judith, she hadn't heard real music in forever. It made her miss the records she used to listen to after long days at work or during her weekends off. She would describe her music taste as 'varied'. Tony always just called it 'weird' and 'odd'. He wasn't wrong. Her collection ranged from Elton John to ACDC to random artists no one had ever heard of. She had her father to thank for most of those. It was his collection first. CJ just kept it going after he passed away. =

"With her charcoal eyes and Monroe hips
She went and took that California trip
Oh, the moon was gold, her hair like wind
Said, 'don't look back, just come on, Jim'"

Bringing her out of her memories, Rick came over and stood beside her with Judith in his arms. It made CJ smile to see him with her after everything he went through when he first lost Lori. She knew he was still struggling, but he was getting better.

"Some reunion, huh," Daryl stated quietly to the three people beside him.

"She's in a jam," Rick replied.

"We all are," CJ pointed out.

"Andrea's persuasive," Hershel began. "This fella's armed to the teeth. Bent on destruction."

"So, what do you wanna do?" CJ asked Rick.

"We'll match it," Rick said. "I'm goin' on a run."

"We can head out tomorrow," Daryl offered, pointing between him and CJ.

"No, no you stay here," Rick replied. "Keep an eye on your brother." Daryl looked over at Merle, who was stood in the doorway of the cell block by himself. "I'm glad your back. Really. But he causes a problem it's on you."

Daryl looked to the ground briefly and then back up at Rick before nodding in agreement. "I got him."

Rick looked at CJ. "You stay here too. The Governor tries anything, we'll need you here. Watch over everyone."

"Sure," CJ nodded.

"I'll take Michonne."

"You sure that's a good idea?" Daryl asked.

"I'll find out," Rick sighed. "And Carl. He's ready. You guys hold it down here."

CJ and Daryl looked at each other for a second and turned back to Rick. "You got it," Daryl assured him.