Part 81 (The Cell)

CJ's whole body hit the ground of the van, and she was in so much pain that she could hardly move. There was a divider inside, separating the front of the van, meaning there were no windows.

She heard movement beside her before felt a pair of familiar hands on her shoulders as she heard the van doors slam shut behind her. There was just about enough light coming through the gaps in the doors for her to be able to see.

"Hey... hey," Daryl's voice trembled as he helped her roll over.

She winced as he cradled her body in his arms. "Daryl... It... it hurts." She looked down at her wound, seeing how much blood was coving her body.

"It's okay," he whispered, trying not to break down at the sight of her suffering. "Let me look." He gently tugged the blood-soaked shirt away from her, causing her to hiss and grit her teeth.

When he lifted her tank top enough to see the wound, he was met with a sight that made him suck in his breath. There was still a thin trail of blood seeping through a large, deep slash on the side of her stomach. There was black bruising all around the wound, but he could barely see that under the layers of both dried and fresh blood that piled over it, covering most of her torso.

"You don't know who you could end up holding in your arms as you watch them slip away and not be able to do anything to help them..." CJ's words echoed in Daryl's mind.

"You... you're gonna be okay," he shakily promised her as her covered the wound and put pressure over it, the action making her squint her eyes shut as she bit back a scream.

"Glenn..." she sobbed, looking up at Daryl through her blurry eyes. "And... and Abraham, they..."

"I know... I know," Daryl fought back a cry as he held her. "I'm sorry."

"It wa-wasn't your fault," she slowly mumbled.

"It was... it was," he whimpered as he nodded his head.

"It wasn't," she repeated. "Don't e-ever say that. Don't even think it."

She saw a tear fall down his cheek as he closed his eyes. Her right arm shook as she reached up to put her hand of the side of his face, wiping the tear away with her thumb. He relaxed into her touch and sighed, bringing his hand up to cover hers, holding it against his cheek.

The van wobbled as they heard the doors at the front of the vehicle open. Negan's voice bellowed through the divider.

"Hey, Daryl. Do me a favour and make sure your girlfriend doesn't die back there." They could hear a smugness in his voice. "Don't worry. We radioed ahead. The doc will be waiting."

CJ and Daryl didn't take their eyes off of each other, blocking out Negan's voice as best they could. The floor of the van vibrated as the engine hummed to life, and they felt the vehicle start to move.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled. "About th-the argument. About what I said-"

She cut herself off when she gasped for air as Daryl gently shushed her, pulling her closer so her head was against his chest. "Don't worry about any of that shit now. Just... just keep your eyes on me, alright?"

"I was just mad," she whimpered. "I didn't w-want you to go."

"I know," he whispered, guilt eating away at him as the image of her begging him to stay home flashed before him. "I know, and I am so, sorry."

"It's okay," she said raspily. "You were sad."

"Don't matter," he countered, his voice hoarse from fighting back his tears. "Just forget about it. Focus on keepin' your eyes on me, alright?"