Part 68 (After Party)

The next day, Carol, Rick, Daryl and CJ had left Alexandria so they could continue their discussion from last night without the risk of being heard. They'd told the person on gate duty that they were going shooting as not to arouse any suspicion. They were trying to figure out a way of getting into the armoury without being seen.

Rick led them to a small house in the middle of the woods he had been to the previous day with Carl. There was a faint growling of a walker somewhere around them.

"I don't see it," Daryl said. "But it's close. There's just one of 'em."

"We won't be here long," Rick replied. "So, what do you think?"

"We go in when it's empty," Carol said.

"How are we gonna do that?" CJ asked. "It's locked up at night."

"The window. There's just a latch, I can leave it open," Carol explained.

"A latch," Rick repeated unsurely.

"Yeah."

"What if one of those pricks shuts it?" Daryl questioned.

"Wait a couple of days, leave it open again," Carol shrugged.

Another growl came from behind the house. "It's getting closer," Daryl mumbled.

"We need to do it sooner than later," Rick said. "Right now, they're not watching us. Not worrying about meetings like this. We may need the guns, we may not."

"We will," Carol was quick to say. "Whatever way it goes."

"They're the luckiest damn people I've ever met," Rick shook his head. "And they just keep getting luckier."

"How's that?" CJ asked.

"We're here now," Rick shrugged. CJ nodded in response like the answer should have been obvious.

"They've got a couple of foot lockers full of nine-millimetre autos," Carol told them. "Other guns too. Just tossed in there. They don't use them, they're never gonna know they're gone."

"Well, someone's got one now, right?" Daryl gestured to the pile of trash next to the house.

Rick had hidden a handgun with Judith's initials written on it in a lunch pale and left it buried in the trash pile before the group arrived in Alexandria when the RV broke down. When he came back to check, the gun was gone.

"Hmm," Rick nodded, clearly concerned about who took the gun. "Listen, the others... we want them to try."

"We do," Carol agreed as the walker that had been making noise finally appeared and started walking their way.

"So, we keep it quiet. Just us four." Rick nodded to the walker. "Here it comes."

"I got him," CJ said, turning away from the group and pulling an arrow out of the quiver on her back.

"Hey wait," Carol interrupted, stepping forwards.

She raised her silenced gun and shot the walker in its chest several times before finally shooting it in the head, killing it. Rick, CJ and Daryl all looked at her, confused.

"You said you were taking me out shooting. I can't come back with a full mag," she explained.

"Huh," CJ chuckled, slightly impressed.

"Lucky it came by," Daryl responded.

"We should get back," Rick said and everyone agreed. "You'll pull the latch; we'll pick our moment. Us? We don't need to be lucky."

"The hell's that?" Daryl asked, looking down at the walker Carol killed. The others came over to look at it. There was a marking carved into its forehead. "Is that a 'W'?"