Part 23 (Debate)

Rick had called a meeting in the house to give everyone a chance to voice their opinions on what to do with Randall and decide his fate. After her talk with Dale, CJ was ready to support Dale in his fight to save the kid's life.

As Daryl made his way to the house, most people were already inside. He had spent most of his day debating in his head whether or not to tell CJ about what Randall had said. Part of him wanted to say something that morning when he first came out of the barn, but he figured that this is something she may not want everyone to know about. She had told them that Carver wanted to kill her, but now Daryl knew that wasn't true. He just didn't know that she already knew that. He had to tell her first, and only her.

After Dale came to ask him to help try to save Randall's life, Daryl figured that he had said the same stuff to CJ. He knew that given the kind of person he'd seen her to be, she wouldn't agree with executing a kid she knew nothing about.

As he passed the campsite outside the house, he spotted CJ heading towards the front door. He had to tell her now.

"Hey," he called out, causing CJ to turn around quickly.

"Hi," she responded, slightly taken aback by the fact that he had actually spoken to her for the first time in two days.

"I need to talk to ya about somethin'" Daryl said as he came to stand in front of her.

"Yeah, I've been wantin' to talk to you too," she replied, noticing his somewhat nervous stance. "I was gonna come find you after the-"

"It's gotta be now," he insisted, cutting her off. He put a hand on her shoulder and lead her over to behind the RV so they couldn't been seen or heard by anyone.

"Daryl, what's going on with you?" CJ asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

"That guy... that you met in the woods before. Randall knew him," he replied hesitantly.

"What?" she questioned.

"He mentioned the name Carver..." Daryl started quietly, noticing CJ's demeanour change when he said the man's name. "... Told me that he'd go out lookin' for people to take back to their camps. Then him and his boys would..." he trailed off, not even wanting to say the words out loud.

"I umm...okay..." CJ mumbled, letting her arms drop to her sides. "Why didn't you uh... why didn't you say anything this mornin'?" she asked, matching his quiet tone and looking up to meet his eyes.

"Didn't wanna say anything in front of the others. Figured, you probably wouldn't want everyone knowin'," he explained.

CJ nodded her head slightly and looked to the side. "Yeah, guess you're right. If Shane or Rick knew, there would be no debate in their minds. Thank you."

She didn't really know how to react. To an outsider, or even to Daryl, it probably looked like an under-reaction.

Daryl noticed that she didn't know what to say so he continued. "Randall says he didn't do nothin'. But I don't trust him. Look, I know you don't want Rick to kill him..."

"But he might be dangerous. I know," CJ finished Daryl sentence. She looked down to the ground, trying to hide the fact that she was worried.

"What are you thinkin'?" Daryl asked, but she stayed silent and kept her gaze on the floor. "Hey, look at me." CJ hesitated for a moment before looking back up to meet his eyes. "What are you thinkin'?" he repeated.

CJ shook her head slightly and lifted he shoulders as she pursed her lips. "I don't know..." she whispered.

Everything Daryl had said only confirmed most of what she already knew about Carver. He wasn't going to kill her, she knew that already. He had snuck up on her out in the woods. He could have taken her out before she even knew he was there, but he didn't. He was a grown man who chose to be like that and act like that. Randall? She didn't know what to think. He was a part of their group. Part of a group of men that would do those kinds of things to helpless people. Clearly he was trusted enough to go out scouting with them, but they left him behind to die. CJ didn't know what to think.