Part 25 (The Part Where We Hug)

CJ got no sleep that night, which was obvious to everyone just by the look on her face as they gathered for Dale's funeral. Any words she spoke were quiet and blunt. The faint bruise that lingered around her face was made prominent by the dark, tired bags under her eyes.

One thing that did seem to bring her some comfort was Rick coming to tell her that he had decided against killing Randall after Carl followed them to the barn to try and watch.

CJ stood alone, a few feet behind Glenn and Maggie, during the funeral. She had spent the entire night lying awake as silent tears fell down her face so during the service, she was almost too exhausted to cry.

She thought of all the things Dale had said to her and taught her. Not just on the farm, but since the day she met him all those months ago. Right when she needed someone the most. No, he wasn't her father. But he was as good as. She couldn't help the sad smile on her face as she listened to Rick's speech.

"Dale could... he could get under your skin. He sure got under mine. Because he wasn't afraid to say exactly what he thought... how he felt. That kind of honesty is rare. It's brave. Whenever I'd make a decision, I'd look at Dale. He'd be looking back at me with that look he had. We've all seen it one time or another.

He could always read us. He knew the truth about us, who we really are. In the end... he was talking about losing our humanity. He said this group was broken. The best way to honour him is to unbreak it. Pull together, stop feeling sorry for ourselves and take control of our lives. Of our safety, or future. We are not broken. We're gonna prove him wrong. We're gonna do things his way. That is how we honour Dale."

Slowly, everyone began to walk away, but Rick stayed. So did CJ. She watched him as he just stared at the ground deep in thought. She sighed and tilted her head and approached him.

"Rick?" she called out gently.

He broke from his trance and looked up to face her. "Hey."

"If you're wondering if you did the right thing? With Randall? You did," she assured him with a nod.

"I was gonna do it," he said, shaking his head. "I had the gun pointed at his head but... when I saw Carl I-"

"I know," CJ cut him off. "You don't want him growing up cold. I'm glad you didn't do it."

"I'm sorry. For Dale," Rick said as the pair turned to walk towards the house side by side.

"Yeah... me too," she sighed, looking down to her feet. "He respected you, ya know."

Rick shook his head slightly and looked away from CJ. "I find that hard to believe after everything."

"Well, he did," CJ shrugged with a small smile. "He didn't agree with you but... he respected you. Even at the end. I know he did."

"I meant what I said back there. We're gonna do things right from now on," he said confidently.

"We'll make sure we do," CJ nodded. "I just... I just wish it didn't take this to make everyone realise that."

"I know. Hey..." Rick started, putting a hand on CJ's arm to stop her walking. "I am sorry. Not just for Dale but for what happened in the meeting yesterday. What you said was right. This isn't the life I wanted for my family. That includes you. I'm gonna unbreak this group. We'll deal with Randall today too, if you'll help me "

CJ smiled softly and nodded, looking up at him. "Of course, I'll help you. For Dale."

"Thank you," Rick replied with a small smile as he brought CJ into a hug which she returned.