Part 38 (Woodbury)

After driving for a while, Michonne told them to pull over. "They have patrols, we're better off on foot," she explained as they all got out of the vehicle.

"How far?" Rick asked. "Night's coming."

"A mile, maybe two."

CJ carried her bow in her right hand, ready for any attack they may face as soon as they arrived at this town. She had her gun secured in its holster on her leg and one knife on each hip. Her arrows in her quiver rested on her back. She wore a long sleeves white shirt under her vest. Her hair was tied up in a ponytail that threaded through the back of her cap and trailed down her back. Her sleeves were rolled up to her elbows. 

Daryl and Rick walked ahead whilst she was a few feet behind them, keeping an eye on the trees surrounding them as they made their way down the dirt path. Michonne and Oscar led the way.

"I know what you did for me, for my baby, while I was...working things out," Rick said to Daryl before turning to CJ. "Both of you. Thank you."

"It's what we do," Daryl nodded.

"You doing okay?" CJ asked Rick, walking a bit faster to catch up with the two men.

Rick hesitated for a moment before answering. "I'm getting there."

Their conversation was cut short by the sound of the walking dead coming for the woods. A few emerged from the trees, having spotted the group. "Rick," CJ warned quietly.

"Down," Rick whispered loudly so everyone could here. "Formation. No gunfire."

They began taking out the walkers. CJ was shooting arrows at them and managed to collect them before even more appeared. It was practically a small herd. 

"There's too many of 'em," Daryl called out.

Rick drove his knife through the head of one more walker and it dropped to the ground. "This way," he instructed, pointing to the only clear space around them. The group followed him and they came across a large wooden cabin. "In there."

They piled in, still with their weapons raised and Michonne shut the door and locked it. 

"Keep it down," Rick whispered.

CJ slowly made her way further into the cabin which is when the stench of god-knows-what hit her. Still holding her knife, she brought her arm up to cover her nose and mouth as she grimaced at the stench. "Ugh, Jesus."

"That smell," Daryl cringed. "It's loud."

As they moved further into the room, they spotted a dead animal of some kind lying on a pet bed. "What the hell is that?" Oscar asked.

"It's gotta be a fox, or what's left of one," Daryl replied.

CJ took a step forward and pointed her flashlight at the animal, noticing the collar around it's neck. "It's a dog. Was a dog anyway." 

"Guess Lassie went home," Daryl mumbled.

Barely a second later, the walkers from before had caught up with the group and were banging at the door, growling and moaning as they tried to get in. That was when Rick whispered to the others, pointing his flashlight at the bed in the corner of the room. There was something underneath the covers. With their weapons raised, they slowly approached the bed. 

When Rick pulled back the cover, a man jumped out of the bed with a shotgun in his hands, pointing it around at everyone.

"Who the hell are you?!"

"Whoa, we don't mean any harm," Rick said, holding his hands out.

"Get out of my house!" the man yelled.