Part 79 (Last Day On Earth)

"You can't seriously think that going out there right now is a good idea," CJ protested as she followed Daryl downstairs.

He's barely said two words to anyone since the encounter with the Saviors the previous day. He was awake the entire night, tossing and turning at the thought of a bad person he'd saved being out there. He was determined to find the rest of the Saviors and kill them before they could hurt anyone else. And he was going to do it alone. When CJ got up and saw him getting ready to leave, she had been trying to stop him.

"Can't sit around and do nothin'," Daryl muttered in response.

"I'm not saying do nothing. I'm asking you to think," CJ replied.

"Done enough a' that," he mumbled, heading toward the front door.

"Daryl. Daryl, just stop." CJ caught up to him and grabbed his wrist, making him turn to face her. "I know you're upset about what happened yesterday."

"I told you the other day, I shoulda' killed him," Daryl sighed, clearly frustrated. "If I did, yesterday wouldn't a' happened."

"You can't have predicted that attack," CJ said. "No one could."

"Don't matter," he responded. "I ain't lettin' him go again."

"Stop it," CJ moving to stand in between him and the door. "Rosita told me that Dwight guy said he was aiming for you. If you run into him again, how do you know he won't miss?"

"I don't," Daryl replied bluntly. He tried to walk around her, but she put her hands on his chest to stop him. "What?"

"At least wait," CJ pleaded with him. "Wait a few days. We can figure this out here, at home. Our home. We all need you here. I need you. Just wait."

Daryl seemed to hesitate, but he was too set in his ways; too stubborn to listen to her. "Nah. I'm doin' this now." CJ pushed against his chest. "Let me leave."

"No."

"Let me leave."

"No, I'm not letting you do this," CJ shook her head, becoming more and more frustrated as he refused to listen to her.

"I ain't askin'," Daryl shot back.

"What happens if you don't come back, huh?!" CJ argued, raising her voice.

"I will!" Daryl replied, annoyed.

"If you don't-"

"If I don't, then who fuckin' cares?!" he grunted.

CJ's face fell, and she could see the look of regret in his eyes as watched her reaction to his words. She opened her mouth to respond, but she was lost for what to say. She didn't know if she was sad, angry, or both.

But she felt tears brim her eyes and walked around him, heading over to the kitchen counter and leaning her hands on the side, facing away from him. Daryl looked at her hands and saw how tightly she was gripping the edge of the counter.

He didn't mean for what he said to come out as harshly as it did. He felt he needed to go, and that she didn't understand. He was reminded of the day way back at Hershel's farm when they argued, all because she was trying to look out for him, and he got pissed at her. He'd only known her for a few months back then, but the guilt was still there in the back of his mind; no matter how much time passed.

"Fine," she mumbled, her voice breaking slightly. "That's how you feel, then do what you want."

Daryl closed his eyes for a second and moved away from the door to stand behind her. "C... I didn't mean-"