Part 34 (Walkers in the Courtyard)

It had been a couple of days since they left the prisoners in the other cell block and the group were finally beginning to set up the prison to make it a safer home. Hershel was awake and getting better which made everyone feel more confident in each other, knowing that after all that time out on the road, they had only gotten stronger.

Lori wasn't far away from giving birth. CJ had checked in on her a few times when Hershel couldn't. Her worries the other day were, thankfully, just worries. The baby was fine and everyone was ready for it. The only concern was that Carl was a C-section and that this baby could be the same. Hershel had shown CJ and the others a few things about what to do if that happened, they just had to pray it wouldn't come to that.

All of that aside, the group seemed more positive about the future. Working out plans to make the prison not only more secure, but a nicer place to live for a long time. Rick seemed happier, Carl seemed to enjoy being in charge when Rick was away from the cell block, everyone just seemed much more optimistic.

CJ, Daryl, Carol, Rick and T-Dog were all outside by the gates of the prison moving the cars and the bus so that the road was clear. The plan was that the cars would be there should they ever need a quick getaway, but also the road would be more accessible when they went on supply runs or hunts.

"Okay, lets get the other cars in, park them in the west entry of the yard," Rick instructed.

"Good. Our vehicles camped out there look like a giant vacancy sign," Daryl quipped.

"After that, we need to load up these corpses so we can burn 'em," Rick added, gesturing to the bodies that still littered the fields.

T-Dog sighed. "Gonna be a long day,"

"Where's Glenn and Maggie?" Carol asked. "We could use some help."

"Up in the guard tower," Daryl replied.

"Guard tower?" CJ repeated, tilting her head. "They were up there just last night," she smirked, looking up at the tower with her hands on her hips.

"Glenn! Maggie!" Daryl called up.

After a moment, Glenn opened the door at the top of the guard tower, shirtless and zipping his jeans. "H-hey! What's up guys?"

"You comin'?" Daryl shouted as the others smiled.

"What?" Glenn asked.

CJ laughed along with Daryl and the others as he repeated himself. "You comin'?" Glenn didn't reply, just looked down at the group, embarrassed. "Come on, we could use a hand."

"Yeah, we'll be right down!" Glenn answered.

Daryl and Carol turned and walked over to one of the cars. When Daryl heard CJ laugh from behind him, he looked over to see her talking to Rick as they were checking the engine of another vehicle. He didn't even realise he was smiling until Carol cleared her throat and his eyes darted away.

"Why don't you go talk to her instead of staring at her like a dork?" Carol asked with a smirk.

"Talk to who?" Daryl asked, avoiding looking at Carol.

"You know damn well who," she shot back, rolling her eyes. "CJ. You like her."

"No, I don't," he replied. Carol kept staring at him with a smug grin and he eventually looked up at her. "Stop."

Carol giggled and patted him on the back a couple of times. "Don't worry, I won't say anything to her. But come on, Daryl. If you like her you should go for it."

"Nah," Daryl mumbled. "She's just a friend."

"Who's just a friend?" Carol asked playfully, glancing over his shoulder.